Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Green Grape Tomato

Posted by gardenmommy_2010 8A, Sac CA (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 13, 11 at 17:30

I have three Green Grape tomato plants and am suprised that they don't seem to tolerate the heat well - as in their growing tips are drying up. They get the afternoon sun but so do all my other tomato plants and they're not complaining. Is Green Grape a variety that doesn't tolerate the heat well? Does anyone else have experience with this? It's getting to the point that I'm thinking of shading them somehow. With the growing tips burning/shriveling/drying up as they are I'll have to do something or they'll stop growing & producing.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Green Grape Tomato

I believe it was bred by Tom Wagner and he lives in WA state. I have on my notes that this is a good variety for cooler weather. I started some seed for my fall planting.
I haven't grown it before so don't have first hand experience. I just know at least one of it's parent's is Green Zebra.

o
RE: Green Grape Tomato

Buy a sheet of cheap lattice and four stakes. Mark out a 4 x 8 rectangle centered over the plants, pound a stake into each corner of the rectangle, then tie the lattice to the top of ths stakes. This will rapidly provide shade for your plants and will not obstuct rain or sprinkler watering.

T

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here