Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
rats!

Posted by abayomi (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 8, 11 at 17:31

Lost some large brad's black heart and moskovich tomatoes to something large. Half eaten green tomatoes. I suspect rats as I've seen them crawling in the bushes at the edges of the property.

Has anyone had, solved this problem?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: rats!

Get a cat :)

o

Rats are common where I live. for ground rats I rigged up a large coffee can, cut a hole in the lid only large enough for rodents and glued block rat poison inside. Then I put that inside, I think an upside down plastic milk crate weighted with heavy potted plant. Put it right by my tomatoes. In a few days, dead rats. Had many dogs at the time so took extra precautions. Did not like using poison but did not like having all my tomatoes chomped either. Linda

o

Agrant - funny thing is there are cats in the area. In fact they love my plastic mulch. Fed too good to catch rats though.

I may have to resort to poison which I have been looking to avoid. Thanks Linda.

o

I have the same problem. Something is taking big bites out of my tomatoes. I am using DCon poison. I also set out some Smack-Rat-Traps too.
Something is eating the poison but I don't know what. I haven't seen any dead bodies.
But it could be squirrels too. I set out some Conibear 110 traps for the squirrels and rabbits. I also have a have-a-heart trap that catches them alive. One year I caught 28 rabbits. They chew up my blueberries, raspberries, roses and hydrangeas.
I hate to kill the furry little things, but I get so angry when I work so hard and the rodents spoil it.
The Conibear 110 can be found at a trap store by doing a google search on "Conibear Trap" And the 110 size is the right size for a squirrel or rabbit.
A Conibear 110 will only cost about $10, but you will also need the big lever-setter-plyers too. I don't use the big plyers, but I have strong hands.
For those of you who object to seeing a squirrel killed in a Conibear 110, please do not watch this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QCPbxlHpNs
But this is how a Conibear 110 Trap works, - Very well!

o

28 wild rabbits!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here