Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
twolips_gw

Booty Tomato

twolips
10 years ago

Wow, you guys are a busy group! NICE, and close too!

Anyways, I am not a HUGE gardener, but do some and some canning. Trying some new maters this year. Have never grown Roma's, they are doing well, but not real big, maybe 2"-3". A lot of work blanching and peeling to can.

Last year we grew Siletz, really liked that variety. Medium tomato and heavy producer. Did more this year.

Tried some San Marzano this year, only have had one tomato so far. About 4" long. Not producing well, may have "blossom rot"? .......or critters.

However, out other newbie is the Booty. Doing pretty good, seems to be quite meaty and nice size. I have had some almost as big as a softball. Hoping they turn out well for canning and sauces.

Has anyone else grown this variety? Here is a photo of 2 of mine, each cut in the opposite directions.
It is a determinate type, so to my understanding, once it has produced, it is done?

Comments (9)

• carolyn137
    10 years ago

A Google search,linked to below shows that several seed sites are selling this F1 hybrid and although I'm still sent the Territorial catalog I don't pay attention to it that much.

Some determinates do produce up to frost,some don't. I have never grown it and won't be, so I don't know if it will grow and produce all summer.

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Booty

• twolips
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Carolyn, thank you for the response. I gardened every year when I lived in Michigan, moved to AZ in the mountains and just started back at it a few years ago after about an 8 year break. I did not there were determinate and indeterminate! But why would you NOT buy this tomato? Is "F1 Hybrid" bad?
    I'm still learning, and would like my produce to be as organic as possible.
    TIA

• carolyn137
    10 years ago

I used to grow hybrids from time to time but much prefer growing open pollinated varieties,preferablyheirlooms.

Where I live the major tomato diseases are the foliage diseases and the tolerances,not resistances present in most hybrids are meaningless to me and as far as yield goes,I can match the yield of almost any F1 with a comprable OPvariety.

Carolyn

• twolips
    Original Author
    10 years ago

What is your favorite OP/Heirloom for canning and using for sauces, spaghetti, salsa, etc.?

Are hybrids a type of GMO product?

• kathyb912_in (5a/5b, Central IN)
    10 years ago

Hybrids have nothing to do with GMO. A hybrid tomato is just one that results from a cross of two different tomatoes; the resulting seeds are called an F1 hybrid. The advantage to growing them is they may be bred to have characteristics you like -- taste, productivity, resistance to certain diseases, etc. The disadvantage is that you can't save your own seed from the fruit you grow; the seeds won't come true if you replant them, so you need to buy new F1 seeds everytime you run out.

"Open Pollinated" (OP) plants come true from seed -- you can save your own seeds year after year and never have to repurchase them. "Heirlooms" are older varieties that have been around a long time. Heirlooms are usually OP, but newer varieties could be also.

Since taste is so subjective, what matters most is if YOU like this variety enough to keep growing it. Asking others about their favorites is a great way to learn about different varieties and get ideas for what else you might like to grow. (There are many, many threads here with recommendations; check them out. :)) But don't feel that just because other people don't like or grow something that you shouldn't grow it. :)

Kathy

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Thanks.
    So F1 hybrid is just 1st generation of a cross pollination. Is it possible that it might look like just one of its parents, instead of being different and new?
    Therefore, OP seems to be a much better choice because what you see is what you'll get . NO surprises there.

• joeroot
    10 years ago

So, how does Booty taste? It's suppose to be a good yielder, deep red, and with good flavor. How close is it to the description (well, the red part looks true)?

• carolyn137
    10 years ago

So F1 hybrid is just 1st generation of a cross pollination. Is it possible that it might look like just one of its parents, instead of being different and new?
    Therefore, OP seems to be a much better choice because what you see is what you'll get . NO surprises there.

$$$$$$

We just got through discussing fhow F1 hybrids are made in a very recent thread here, but I can't find it right now.

The earliest hybrids were the result of crossing just two parents , ones such as Big Boy, Better Boy, Ramapo, etc.

More modern hybrids are NOT the resul tof crossing just two parents. There are two breeding lines and up to a total of 8 parental inputs, and then the last OP in each line is crossed to form the F1..

If you cross two varieties that look the same , as in two round reds, the F1 will be a round red and may look like one of theparents, the phenotype,but since the F1 is the result of putting together the genes of both it will have traits from both, the genotype..

IN the thread I could n't find I gave a link to a search here at GW on the development of hybrid varieties.

Carolyn

• twolips
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you everyone for your comments, it is much appreciated. I've learned a lot from this thread.

Joeroot, the Booty is quite tasty, and yes, very red. Took one out with us yesterday, out to eat, to have on our burgers.

I'm having to pick them as soon as they "blush" as the birds are liking them too. And a few chipmunks and other small 4 legged critters! But I've been able to harvest enough to have canned 7 quarts and made 10 quarts of spaghetti sauce.