Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brandyray

What's your favorite cherry tomato?

brandyray
16 years ago

What's your favorite cherry tomato? Which one really has you salivating? I am looking for some new varieties to try since one of my Sungolds has really tough skin this year. I bought Black Pearl, too. I like its flavor. I would like some other suggestions to dream on for spring. thanks, Brandy

Comments (14)

• mkhys223
    16 years ago

Have you tried Reisentraube Brandy?Black Cherry and Galina are excellent choices also for my tastes in cherry types.

Mike

• jwr6404
    16 years ago

Galinas(yellow) and Gardners Delight(Red).

• lumierefrere
    16 years ago

Galina

• jwr6404
    16 years ago

According to Daves Forum Galina is not a Cherry Tomato. I think we,on this thread, all agree that Galinas is a nice Yellow Cherry Tomato.

• brandyray
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions! And all of those are new to me :) so new tomatoes to try next yr. Will I be able to order any of these as plants? And if so, where? I have ordered from Burpee and from Peace Valley (the latter's prices were good but shipping turned out to be expensive). Or maybe one of you who lives in NC might be willing to sell me a few plants next year? Brandy

• gonefishin
    16 years ago

One of the best tasting cherry tomatoes that I have found is Dr. Carolyn Pink. You might enjoy this thread with pictures to see what you think. If you prefer to order plants, Darrel Jones at selected plants sells quality plants and is super nice to do business with.
    Just my .02
    Bill P.

• trudi_d
    16 years ago

My favorite is Brown Berry.

• sunsi
    16 years ago

I've been considering what cherry tomatoes to grow next season the bulk of my plants are usually pastes and larger sized tomatoes. There has to be cherry tomatoes for balance though so from this thread (and Dr. Carolyn's book) I think Galina and Dr. Carolyn will be in my garden next year.

I saw a black cherry in one of the threads here at Garden Web and I'm curious about it's taste as it looks fantastic.

• gtomato
    16 years ago

Black Cherry then Sungold in a close second.

Both are wonderful tasting, productive and bear fruit for a looong time. BC might have a thicker skin than most. That's what I experienced anyway.

greg

• jwr6404
    16 years ago

sunsi
    I think Galina and Dr Carolyn will be in my Garden next year"
    Check Daves Forum for the Galina as well as Galinas. If it a Cherry type you want be sure to order Galinas seeds and not Galina seeds.

• jwr6404
    16 years ago

In 2 previous post I referred to Daves Forum. It should have been Daves Garden. I must be getting old. Galina and Galinas are 2 different varieties

• jdkan
    16 years ago

Black cherry. Nothing else in second place.

• naturalstuff
    16 years ago

Black Cherry #1. Sweet 100's dead last. The middle is being filled in by others.

• brandyray
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks so much for all the great ideas, but the best one of all is the link to the company that sells them!!!! Thank you, Bill! It does not look like I will need to order from Burpee next yr!!!! And I was quite impressed w/ the selection at Selected Plants. Thanks again, I have a list made for next spring. Now, if my tomatoes would hurry up a bit, so I have some to share... :) Brandy

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm