Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tomato variety suggestions

Posted by kawaiineko_gardener 5a (jesusbeloved29@yahoo.com) on
Fri, Jul 29, 11 at 17:58

I'm looking for tomatoes that will grow well and yield heavily under stressful conditions.

I'm looking for something that will grow well and produce well even in extreme heat (as in mid to high 80's to mid to high 90's). Also something that grows and yields well in less than ideal growing conditions, and is disease resistant (particularly to early and late blight).

Basically because my growing season is so short, I need something that is early maturing.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tomato variety suggestions

tough to meet the early blight and late blight requirement

Souix is an older variety that does well in stressful conditions. It was developed for the Nebraska/Dakotas so matures reasonably soon (70 days). It has good flavor too.

There are a number of hybrid hot set lines which are generally mid to late season types. Though these can set well, the heavy fruit load can make them more susceptible to early blight. Most of them lack flavor even though the seed catalogs claim otherwise.

Ill let others recommend more.

o

Well I mean, they don't have to set fruit heavily. I'm just looking for a variety that will set blossoms and fruit even when conditions are stressful.

I'm especially looking for varieties that yield well and will grow well even when it's very hot.

o

I'll second the recommendation for Sioux. It's an excellent tomato.

o

Sioux is good (my second-most productive this year), I've had the best luck with a variety called "Porter Cherry". They're not really cherry-sized, more like golf balls, but they make a good size for one sandwich. They are an acid-tasting tomato, not sweet, so some people don't like them (but I do). I have a bowl with at least a dozen of them in it right now and there are still more on the (one) plant. It started producing ripe fruit before everything but the Sweet 100 cherry plant, which pooped out early.

The temps here have been hotter than you mentioned, more like upper 90s- mid 100s, for about the last month, so there are probably more varieties that will grow in your temp range. This is really my first year to grow tomatoes, except maybe one or two plunked in a flower bed, so I don't have any experience with growing them in decent weather yet.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here