Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ericabraun

Help w/ Tomato ID

EricaBraun
9 years ago

Got this awesome tomato today at my favorite produce stand. It was in an "Heirloom Tomato" box, along with other varieties. I love the look, color and size of it. It is 1lb 9oz., purple and irregularly shaped. Anyone happen to know what it is?

This post was edited by EricaBraun on Tue, Jul 22, 14 at 18:15

Comments (13)

• carolyn137
    9 years ago

Erica, there is absolutely no way that anyone here can ID almost any varitey by pictures. As for the one you show, same comment,

At the bottom I've linked to Tania's page for black varieties, and there's several hundred. Yes, some are better known and grown by many, but just picking a fruit from an heirloom box, and wanting to know what it is, just isn't going to work, and know that you aren't the first one to ask if anyone can ID a variety via a picture.

Especially in S CA where you are since there are a lof of growers there that do raise what I assume to be an heirloom variety.

Since you got it at a farm stand is there any chance you can go back there with your fruit, or take a picture of it to that farmstand, b'c I do think that's the only way you might get it Ided.

Hope this helps,

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Black Tomato varieties

• EricaBraun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the help, Carolyn.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

I will take an educated guess:

Cherokee purple.

Here is a picture posted by Ed Weather, not too long ago.
    My own green ones look just like that. But I have seen pictures of more round ones too.

• EricaBraun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Seysonn. That's actually what I was thinking. I was curious to see if anyone else IDed it as that.

• Deeby
    9 years ago

I thought CP too. Whatever it is I want some with sea salt !

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Most CP's are round but there are boat shapes too.

• EricaBraun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Deeby, I agree! It's already earmarked for tomato sandwiches for breakfast tomorrow!

Seysonn, thanks for the tip. :)

• carolyn137
    9 years ago

And how does one ID a variety as Cherokee Purple without considering Black from Tula, Indian Stripe , all with a clear epidermis, and seveal others that also can give various shapes from time to time?

I can't.

Once a variety becomes an orphan and has no label, no ID,it remains an orphan. (smile)

Carolyn

• seysonn
    9 years ago

You are right , Carolyn. Those are possibilities as well.

Can you tell me what is the variety in this picture ?
    There are 4 different shape/size fruits on the same cluster.

• EricaBraun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Beautiful tomatoes, Seysonn!

• centexan254 zone 8 Temple, Tx
    9 years ago

Seysonn several of the CP I harvested looked like that. All were tasty. I wish I had started a bigger plant so I would have gotten more of them before the inferno started here.

• gin_gin
    9 years ago

According to a Google image search, that last picture is Black Krim. That exact photo is on various seed selling websites.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

gin-gin,

you are right. I got it from the internet, As seen, there are 4 different shape and size of fruit in just one cluster.

I just wanted to show that fruits shape, size, color can be different. Normal BK has roundish fruits, not lobbed, not boat shape. So really, short of a DNA test one cannot say if this is CP, BK, Black from Tula, so forth.

I just take it as a guessing fun game here. It is not a matter of life and death.