Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
star_stuff

Rescued tomato plant ~ From side of road on dog walk ~Pics

star_stuff
14 years ago

When we were walking the dogs yesterday, I found a little tomato plant growing on the side of the road. It was in a spot where our greyhounds usually do their business ~so IÂm thinking itÂs a seed from a tomato they ate (they get all sorts of yummies). Is that indeed possible? Of course I had to rescue the poor thing, and pot him up. Do you think it will work and be productive? Thanks a bunch! :-)

{{gwi:1370065}}

{{gwi:1370066}}

Comments (16)

• jerseygardengirl
    14 years ago

That plant sure looks healthy enough to survive. My guesss is that it will, but why not experiment either way and at worst it will be a trial.

• raisemybeds
    14 years ago

Nice thick stem on that. I would definitely give it a whirl.

• missingtheobvious
    14 years ago

Flowers already, and a growing sucker. It's a survivor.

• star_stuff
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Great! I potted the little guy today, so we'll see what happens! Wouldn't that be hilarious if I get to eat something that has essentially passed through my dog's digestive tract? LOL Thanks pups for germinating the seed!

• llhowland44
    14 years ago

I think you will be successful. I found a tomato plant growing out of a crack between a wall and sidewalk last fall. I pried it out and nursed it through the winter and it started producing tomatoes when I put it out this spring. Good luck!

• missingtheobvious
    14 years ago

My compost pile is on a slope, with the downhill side being big pieces of a locust tree trunk. More than one of my volunteer grape tomatoes started out growing in the bark, and after being replanted became fine large vines.

• star_stuff
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here is an update from July 12th. The rescued plant is looking healthy with alot of flowers. It's in a small pot for now. Looks like a cherry tomato, what do you think?
    7/12/09
    {{gwi:1354684}}

7/12/09
    {{gwi:1354685}}

...yawn...
    {{gwi:1354686}}

...gag...LOL
    {{gwi:1354687}}

• missingtheobvious
    14 years ago

Yep, the truss certainly looks like a cherry.

Your extremely photogenic cat reminds me of a childhood neighbor's odd-eyed white. They cleverly named him "Ojos" (Spanish for "Eyes").

• socks
    14 years ago

That's fun! Is that marigolds around the tomato?

• star_stuff
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ojos ~how cute! Yeah, Lily has a blue eye & yellow eye. And she's a monster b**** ~she terrorizes my other cat and acts like a territorial male. Oh well LOL! :-)

And yep, French marigolds...hopefully they form buds soon. I planted way too many seeds this year, and way too many pepper seeds! :-)

• star_stuff
    Original Author
    14 years ago

sorry, typo... she terrorizes my other 2 *cats* LOL

• lovetogarden2008
    14 years ago

Yep, your dogs may have passed the seeds.

Dogs don't digest tomato seeds. :)

• star_stuff
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The rescued plant is doing very well ~here are some update pics taken today. It looks like an RL indeterminate grape. The bloom set is amazing for such a small plant! There are even a few tiny fruits. :-)

{{gwi:1370068}}

{{gwi:1370069}}

{{gwi:1370070}}

{{gwi:1370071}}

{{gwi:1370072}}

• instar8
    14 years ago

Hmmmm. new fermentation technique?? ;~)

Pretty kitty!

• momesqny
    14 years ago

Oh my goodness - seems dog runs are a good breeding ground for tomatoes! I have a tomato plant "gone wild" in our dog run. I just don't know if the tomatoes will be safe to eat - can pathogens harmful to humans get into the plant from dog run dirt?

• trudi_d
    14 years ago

I smell Cheezburgers, LOL.

You really, REALLY should add the pict with the GAG LOL kitty to the LolCat website. It's just perfect!

Here is a link that might be useful: I Can Has Cheezburger? (LolCats)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!