Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dark sections on Tomato stems

Posted by newyorkrita z6b/7a LI NY (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 11, 12 at 18:16

I just received these tomato seedlings in the mail. They have dark sections on their stems. Not sure if this is a desease or bruising.

Photobucket

The leaves are healthy looking. I did cut one of the stems in half and looked inside. All nice and green in there, no brown veining.

I haven't planted them as afraid of desease. What is it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dark sections on Tomato stems

abuse.

o

Rita, I responded to your same question at the other place where you read/post, in rather more detail. Either you or I can cut and paste my respnse here if your want to.

It's not allowed to mention other message sites here at GW, and even linking to threads at another place shows which message site something comes from, so cut and paste is the way to go.

Carolyn

o

Carolyn thanks. I went and read your e-mail at the other place. I just bagged the plants and put them out for the trash.

o

So I could use some enlightenment on this subject. My tomato plants are almost 2 month old not seedlings. I have I abused them? After they popped all the bloom everywhere and small tomatoes appeared, I added Kool Bloom (2-45-28) to them...soil, and foliar feed them with Sea Magic mix fish emulsion. Now a day later find the dark coloring on my stems, mainly where the small stems come off the main stalk, and the small stems are splitting at the joint of the main stalk.I'm not a very experienced grower,but I don't think the splitting is from poor support and the color looks alot like the mixture of seaweed and fish emulsion...anyone give me some insight. I guess time will tell. If they all die I will be so disappointed, I have really over babied them,need to just be patient.I planted these kinda late May 25th so looking forward to tasty tomatoes.I have more I planted the middle of June that don't have this condition,so I think I'll just leave them alone and stick to water!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here