Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how to rustproof / rubberize tomato cages

Posted by norman2012 none (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 6, 13 at 18:18

I recently came into possession of many (dozens) of tomato cages. They all have surface rust. Is there a type of liquid paint (not spray) that will rubberize when dry or something like that I could brush on them? Any ideas are appreciated

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how to rustproof / rubberize tomato cages

I wonder if Plasti Dip would work? Not sure what sort of surface prep you would need to get a good bond though.

o

I've never tried it, but wonder if Artists' gesso wouldn't work - the acrylic based. It's white, but you could color it with acyrlic paint.

Rustoleum has a spray primer (brown) that I often use on metal garden fixtures. Could very well come in a can, too. I still think you'll have to prep them by removing surface rust.

WTS, depending on the metal, the rusted cages could still last a decade. Personally, I kinda like the look.

o

Why do they have to be rubberized? If it is just an appearance issue just paint them with any color of Rustoleum paint.

Auto paint stores sell a primer paint that kills rust and leaves the treated area black. Old auto restorers use alot of it.

But it all seems an awfully lot of work for cages that will work fine as is.

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here