Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cobarchie

Need advice on soil test results

Cobarchie
12 years ago

Hello, this is my first post here.

I have a two Sweet 100 plants, two Jet Stars, a Celebrity, a Better Boy, a bell pepper plant and a cucumber plant in a strip of my backyard. I pulled the sod off of the ground, double dug big holes for each plant and mixed my soil with composted cow manure I got in bags from Lowes. Some of the plants are doing fine... a Jet Star and the Celebrity look awesome. The others look scragly and pale, yellow even, and the lower branches and leaves of the Sweet 100s are dying altogether.

Last year I just dug holes in the ground and put transplants in. My Sweet 100 plant almost took over the backyard and needed a cage built out of rebar to hold it up. The Better Boys didn't do squat. Everything split and rotted on the vine, and the plants barely got over 4 feet tall. It seems odd that this year the Sweet 100s would be struggling so much, so I got a soil test at the local extension office.

Here are the results, I'm hoping someone can provide more insight about my test besides the recommendation of adding 30 pounds of nitrogen per acre at 4 week intervals that came along with the results.

pH: 6.5

Phosophorus: 41 (noted as high)

Potassium: 293 (noted as high)

Calcium: 2407 (noted as sufficient)

Magnesium: 429 (noted as sufficient)

If it helps, they get plenty of sun and I water pretty good every three days or so (in the morning) with a soaker hose if we don't get rain.

Someone told me to spray the plants with a fungicide. I bought some today and will try that out.

Any advice will be appreciated

Comments (6)