Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cherry tomatoes not ripening

Posted by tinatmrbluebird TN (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 12, 12 at 18:33

I live in west Tennessee, where we have had extreme high temperatures and drought conditions for several weeks. I have several cherry tomato plants that are absolutely LOADED with cherry tomatoes that are not ripening. They begin to change and then burst on the vine unless I pick them early. When I bring them inside some ripen but others stay orange. Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cherry tomatoes not ripening

Splitting is always a problem. Especially with heat extremes. It caused by inconsistent soil moisture levels - wet soil followed by dry and then by wet, etc. So the best bet is to adjust your watering pattern as much as possible and pick the fruit at blush (aka break stage) before watering.

Some varieties are more prone to splitting than others so what variety are you growing? Are your plants well mulched? How and how often do you water? Have you been pruning the plants at all? Can you shade the plants in any way from the late afternoon sun?

More info please.

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here