Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is ailing this tomato??

Posted by cablestarman NE OH 6a (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 13, 14 at 18:33

This is the first time I have seen anything like this. I have had early blight before and was able to control it. It is affecting the top leaves of this roma instead of the bottom, they turn yellow and the tip of one of the stems is limp. I found some salt damage pics on web, but that just doesn't seem right to me. The tomatoes on either side are unaffected.

Thanks,
Dave

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is ailing this tomato??

Another pic

o

I believe I have the same issue - the leaves on an entire side stem are yellowing and the growing tip of that stem is wilted. Is that the same as what you're seeing?

In my case it is showing up on several plants in one of my beds. I'm used to the full suite of foliage diseases, but haven't encountered this before.

~emmers

o

Looks like some kind of fungus, Try this site, http://vegetablemdonline.ppath.cornell.edu/PhotoPages/PhotoGallery.htm

o

Fusarium wilt sure sounds like it to me. I think I'm going to have to pull it out and put some clear plastic on it, rather than cutting off the leaves. Anybody deal with this before? Is it best just to pull the entire plant?

http://www.planetnatural.com/pest-problem-solver/plant-disease/fusarium-wilt/

o

Without more info and with just a quick look, the plant looks deficient in iron.. It doesn't appear to be fusarium as it has maintained its turgidity for the most part (or have the symptoms JUST begun?).. For curiosity's sake, cut open a stem to see if the characteristic brown streaks are working their way around the xylem .. Also, check the limp branch at night to see if it improves as this would point towards fusarium as well.

An iron def will cause limp new growth and eventually complete chlorosis as your displaying as well; it will start with new growth as you've also described (less mobile mineral)..

So if you slice a stem and don't see the characteristic brown streaking of fusarium then the question is, what's up with your growing conditions, ie. soil ph (this is a big one as it could lock out multiple minerals) feeding schedule, feeding approach (thinking synthetics as you questioned salt damage), watering schedule, light exposure etc..

o

I agree with Michael... there are no signs of fungus nor wilt at all.

o

Here is a close up of a leaf and the limp stem I removed.

o

Here is the stem cut open.

o

Yea that's fusarium IMO .. I'd pull that plant, bag it and get it off your property.. Has it spread to others? Btw, what's up with the pails of water, I'm guessing (definitely hoping lol) you have some mosquito dunks in there?

o

I pulled it. I'm surprised it hasn't spread to the adjacent tomatoes. There is a Mortgage Lifter on one side and an Early Girl on the other (The leaves were touching that Roma, but they aren't affected) I put some clear plastic over the hole in the black plastic mulch to solarize the soil. Maybe it's not even in the soil, is it possible it was already in the plant? Just find it odd it did not affect any other tomatoes. That's what I love about gardening, always something different every year and you learn along the way.

That's steeped compost tea in the buckets. I gotta put the lids on them. What would the world be like without mosquitoes? LOL. I don't really have a problem with the mosquitoes, plus there a some frogs in the buckets (but my neighbors might :) The mosquito dunks sound interesting since they are organic.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here