Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I prevent mealy tomatoes?

Posted by snoop92 Ohio (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 25, 08 at 18:35

I cut open my first ripen tomato and it was totally mealy inside. No liquid at all inside. I'm concerned that the rest of the tomatoes in the garden are going to be this way.

Does anyone know what causes this "mealy"-ness and if I can do anything to prevent the others from turning into mealy monsters?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I prevent mealy tomatoes?

WHAT ARE YOU GROWING? how are you watering,sun,container,earth etc.

o

• Posted by doof SoCal 10a (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 25, 08 at 23:32

Some varieties are meant to be that way. Personally, I like them a little messy inside.

o

Usually it is a sign of inconsistent soil moisture levels while the fruit is developing. Try to stabilize the moisture levels with mulch and avoid, as much as possible, either over or under watering.

In ground or in containers? If in-ground, how well/quickly does your soil drain - need to know that so that you can better judge how often and how much to water. EX: sandy soil will drain quickly so it will require more frequent watering to keep the moisture level consistent. Clay soil temds to retain water so care must be taken to avoid over-watering.

Dave

o

These plants are in the ground. I just guess how much to water and I never know whether the amount is right. I water every 2-3 days. It's hard to tell what is too much or too little. The soil amendments I used are Miracle Gro Organic Garden Soil.

Will mulching the plants around the base of the plant help now or is it too late? My plants each have anywhere from 3-7 fruit per plant that are green and not ripe...

Thanks.

o

Never too late to mulch. ;)

Been several good discussions lately on watering tips and techniques. Can't recall the titles off hand but a search of this forum (bottom of the page) using 'watering' should pull them up for you. A good feeding might help too as the MG soil only has a limited amount of nutrients.

Dave

o

I gave up on trying to understand how mealy tomatoes come to be many years ago.

I've grown one heck of a lot of varieties and there are only one or two that I dubbed mealy the first time I grew them.

What I can't understand is why a variety can be be perfectly fine one year and that same variety the next year is soft, mushy, mealy.

This happens to me primarily with the large beefsteak gold/red bicolors.

So I think it's environmental and I haven't a clue as to what exact environmental variables are involved. Sigh.

Carolyn

o

Thanks for the advice....

Carolyn gets the mealy monsters too?

Regarding Dave's comment about nutrients...what do you mean exactly by feeding? Fertilizing? Would you recommend fertilizing at the base of the plant now? I've read that it should be done mid-season, but then, I also hear that you shouldn't over fertilize.

Is it necessary then to apply fertilizer again?

o

if the tomatoes were cracked this is overwatering and leads to mealy tomatoes. Also, the first tomatoes to ripen are often mealy. Usually gets better later.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here