Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cjohansen_gw

Suggestions for next year?

cjohansen
10 years ago

I'm a first-year grower. I live in Norway, which is technically zone 6, but still a fairly cold climate (short season). This year I grew some San Marzanos, and they're turning out good, but very slowly. I'm realizing I will only get one harvest off these plants (they were planted outside in the beginning of June).

For next year I was hoping someone could suggest some varieties that are eager producers, and/or early ripe. Ideally, both :) I start plants from seeds inside, so I'm looking for varieties that will bring me lots of tomato happiness in an outside season that is pretty much June-July-August.

Comments (12)

• labradors_gw
    10 years ago

I have grown Stupice which is early.

Early (open pollinated) tomatoes on my "to grow" list include:

Matina
    Indian Stripe
    Peacevine
    Chadwicks Cherry
    Jaune Flammee
    Bloody Butcher
    Early Annie

Hopefully, you will be able to find some seeds of these to try next year.

Cheers,
    Linda

• carolyn137
    10 years ago

If you're zone 6 you must be near Oslo on the fjord, I would imagine. And zone 6 would allow you to grow any varieties you wanted to..

Further north, no, I've been there, too cold. Folks here who are in zones about 3 or so are the ones who prefer to grow early season varieties.

So I don't really know which varieties to suggest for you since you do start your plants inside and are in a zone 6.

I had a wonderful long visit in many parts of Norway, a spectacular country. A good friend is Sverre Lee, MD, who was head of the Rikshospitalet, and distant relatives on the fjord, Fru Gestvang, who married her uncle to keep the money in the family since they were the first to import cars to Norway.

She spoke no English, so I took Sverre along with me to translate. And she had more Munch's than did the Munch Museum. LOL

And her driver would pick me up at the Salvation Army mini hotel where I was staying. ( smile)

Carolyn

• donna_in_sask
    10 years ago

I'm in zone 2 and I don't grow early season tomatoes. Often, the early ones aren't as good tasting as the later ones...the only saving grace is that they are early. With the exception of Big Beef and Sungold/Sunsugar, I grow OP or heirloom varieties.

• labradors_gw
    10 years ago

You must have a long wait then Donna!

Where the heck are you to be in Zone 2? I thought Zone 3 was the coldest zone (LOL).

I'm already planning my early varieties for next year. They aren't all spitters!

Linda

• sheltieche
    10 years ago

Linda, what are your plans for next year seeds? Or anyone who has link to share what earlies OP/heirlooms are good tries? Yes I can give some boost with WOW and earlier start date to some late ones but I really do not want to build my garden around them as Chicago can have iffy weather in Sept. Am particularly interested in superearliers that taste decent. Want to aim for middle June for next year. Usually my Sungold is around July 4th

• labradors_gw
    10 years ago

Cherokee Purple was early for me this year, but I need some early small-fruited varieties to keep me going while I wait for the others to mature.

I put my list of early varieties that I am going to try above.

Matt's Wild Cherry is a currant tomato that is supposed to be very early too.

Linda

• carolyn137
    10 years ago

Linda, Matt's Wild isn't a currant variety. It was introduced by Johnn'ys many years ago, and it's S. lycopersicon, var cerasiforme, as you can see if you go to the website, and that cerasiforme word means it's not a currant.

Half the true currants have an exerted stigma so it's good to know if one has a true currant variety, or not.

Now just a few general comments. There are many many threads here at GW dealing with early varieties, that can be found just by doing a search.

Two other excellent sources are Tania's list of early varieties and also look at Casey's Heirlooms of Airdrie where Jeff has a list of earlies as well..

Both Tania and Jeff are in Canada.

I gave up growing early varieties, for themost part, several decades ago b'c most of them don't taste that great. Waiting a week or two more for the midseason ones to ripen up I found was much better.

Carolyn

• labradors_gw
    10 years ago

Oh Carolyn, I am doomed. Before posting my msg, I looked up Matt's Wild Cherry to see if it is a currant, and found an old msg from you saying that "Johnny's has named it cerasiforme so that people won't think it's a currant" and I ASSumed that it WAS a currant and that they were hiding the fact! (LOL)

I have given up buying nasty store-bought tomatoes in the winter - I would rather go without than eat cardboard. So I really need some early home-grown tomatoes to eat before August.

I don't think Stupice tastes bad and it's pretty early.

Linda

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Zone 6 in Norway ?
    How many days in a year do you have temperatures reaching 30C(=86F) or higher ? .. ever? hardly ??

Hardiness zoning numbers are often irrelevant when it comes to summer gardening. Let me give you an example I have bee living through:

Previously I was in GA, zone 7b/8a. Now I am in State of Washington(Seattle area), zone 7b/8a. If You would think that both places have similar climate, you are totally wrong.
    Although both locations have about 7.5 months of growing season but that is about the only similarity that they have. Today, 2nd of July that I am writing this post, , the high will be 66F. Yesterday and the day before was similar . tomorrow will be in low 70s. lets check GA (Duluth)
    The next 5 days highs 85F to 91 F, this is UNDER PARTLY CLOUDY skies , RAINY .. Normally would have been more like in mid 90s if not higher.

So, the hardiness zone numbers do not mean all that much.
    Tomatoes can survive even in high 30s(38F +) but will be just a sitting duck. Best temperatures for tomatoes, peppers, eggplants .. , I gather, are in the range of 80F to 92F., 86F being almost ideal.

• tormato
    10 years ago

Early tomatoes, for me, are not as flavorful as the mid to late season ones.

That said, here's my early season trials for this year... (flavor is on a 1-10 scale)

Kimberley (50 DTM) 7.0
    Sophie's Choice (50 DTM) 7.0
    Beaverlodge Slicer (55 DTM) 7.5 (most productive)
    Mountain Princess - (55 DTM) 4.0
    Early Wonder - (56 DTM) 7.0
    Early Treat F1 - (56 DTM) 3.0
    SunGold - (58 DTM) 9.0
    Stupice - (60 DTM) 5.0
    Early Annie - (62 DTM) 4.0
    Moskvich - a tomatoless mule :(

Gary

• dickiefickle
    10 years ago

Siberian
    New BiG Dwarf
    Bush Beefsteak
    Manitoba

• sheltieche
    10 years ago

I have been looking at Tatiana base as well as tomatofest early lists. While early and tasty are oxymoron to a degree I am looking for something like Gary list above, on scale from 1 to 10. Matina, Kimberley and Jaune Flamme seems to get better reviews so they go on the list, am growing Peacevine this year,
    Any word on following
    Bursztyn
    Kootenai
    Kotlas
    Sibirskiy Skorospeliy
    Sugary Pounder
    Tambovskiy Urozhayniy

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus