Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Unknown pear shaped tomato - ID?

Posted by mjhuntingtonbeach 10b (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 7, 13 at 18:50

I found this tomato at a farmer's market, lumped in with a lot of varieties under the heading of "heirloom tomato" I thought it looked interesting, so I picked one up to maybe save some seeds. Pear shaped, large, pointed tip at the wide end, red. Cut it open and there was very little gel, almost like a stuffer tomato, so I suppose it is meant to be a paste tomato.

I tried to find something looking like this online, noticed one tomato called "Etoile" that was similar, Tomatofest had one called "New Zealand Pink Pear" that looks similar but this one is not pink.

Any ideas what this variety is?

Thanks.

Picture from the outside first, will attached a picture of the tomato halved next.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Unknown pear shaped tomato - ID?

A view cut open.

o

As we tell everyone else who ask for an ID from a photo - it's impossible to do. Best we can do is narrow it down to 20-30 possible varieties (that's how many Tatiana's list) and then guess. Looks like one of the many stuffer varieties, is red, and pear shaped so my guess is....Italian Red Pear or...Ukrainain Pear or...Red Stuffer or....

But there is no way you can ever know for sure much less prove it. So just grow it and enjoy and don't try to slap a name on it because it would likely be incorrect.

Dave

o

Could be a pear, but the insides look misformed to me. Might be a misshapen round or oblate.

o

Did you find the name of the pear shaped tomato you questioned in July 2013? I, in August 2014, bought a couple at the farmers market in Hyannis, MA. My searching leads me to double helix farm in Arkansas and a variety, 100 pounds. They are delicious and I hope we can find seed to grow them in Vermont.
Is this similar to the one you posted?

Here is a link that might be useful: image and description of the tomato 100 pounds

o

What Steve shows at his website called 100 lbs is typical of many varieties that are called piriform shaped and I'll try to link to just one quiclly.

Link at the bottom.

Big bottom with ribbed sides tapering towards the top.

There are many of them known, both reds and pinks, with more specific names than just piriform/

A lot of them have Albengo as part of the name and mosr originated in Italy or Spain.

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Red Piriform

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here