Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
could rabbits be doing this?

Posted by justrussell Indiana (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 13, 12 at 18:56

I've lost a couple dozen tomatoes already. Do you think the rabbits are doing this to try and get moisture? We've been with out rain for 3 weeks; Worst drought I've ever seen. On top of it all, my peppers and tomatoes are also getting blossom end rot! I treated for that last night, and put out water pan for the rabbits... what do you think?

Love the forum, glad to be a new member

Russell

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: could rabbits be doing this?

my guess would be squirles / i dont think either will drink tap water /besides once they get a taste for maters they wont stop eating them / 2 options/ one is relocation and then theres the other option

o

Those are rather large bites. Do you have woodchucks or large rabbits?

o

I don't think rabbits eat fruit. In my garden, they only eat greens. Squirrels run around my yard in the top of my fence to get to a neighbor's pear tree. Once saw one nibbling on an abandoned ear of corn inside of my garden in the late fall.

The damage to my tomatoes that looks most like your picture is done by birds. They love their tomato juice. In dry years like this one, I have to harvest tomatoes before fully ripe, and ripen them on my kitchen counter.

o

Birds and squirrels are the hardest things to control. Just like rain & sunshine :)

o

I agree with junktrunck. That looks like tree rats, or "squirrels" as novice gardeners commonly call them.

o

• Posted by tomakers SE MA Zone 5/6 or % (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 18, 12 at 8:43

Tree rats or woodchucks, and my guess is woodchucks. I suppose it could also be deer. The bites look too big for a squirrel or rabbit, were the tomatoes the only thing eaten?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here