Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nugrdnnut

2014 tomato harvest - post your pic

nugrdnnut
9 years ago

First big harvest on non-cherry tomatoes!

My largest is a 16 ounce Cuostralee! Others in the pic are Early Girl, Cherokee Purple, 1884 (haven't tried yet), Beefsteak, and Paul Robeson (my wife's favorite, so far, of the black tomatoes!).

Still waiting on Opalka, Aunt Ruby's German Green, and Mortgage Lifter.

Comments (83)

• seysonn
    9 years ago

TJ, I am growing also Legend. It is getting some color now. Have not tasted it but Siletz and Bloody Butcher
    are winners in my garden.

In the picture below I have :

-- Bloody Butchers, Matina, Early Treat, Sun Gold and some unknown grape type. My second small haul.

• tjinpgh
    9 years ago

seysonn,

While I'm guessing that the yellow ones are the sun gold, which ones in that pic are the butchers and the matinas?

The slightly larger ones in the middle left (with the green bean between them) look to be about the same size as my 4th of July... perhaps a tad bigger.

I have previously passed on tomatoes this size because I liked to have slicers for fresh eating. Upon further consideration, it occurs to me that the bulk of my tomatoes end up canned or cut up for salsa anyway so, size may not be all that important if production is high.

It's not like it takes that long to peel a tomato, regardless of the size. within reason, anyway.

Please keep posted on how you like the Legend.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

TJ,
    The red ones: are mostly Bloody Butcher and Matina and one Early Treat. They are about 1 1/2 oz each. So you can tell that they are bigger than big cherry tomatoes. I planted those as Early varieties. But I got SILETZ that has much larger fruits ~ 6 oz.

• tjinpgh
    9 years ago

Nice. Definitely like the size of that Siletz.

The local farm I used to buy my plants from is said to be getting decent harvests from their fields. I'm inquiring to see what variety they planted.

Do you prune yours a lot?

• tomgrower
    9 years ago

Bel monte heirloom.

2# 9oz and 2# 7oz twins off the same plant. Lots more to come...

Here is a link that might be useful:

• christacharlene
    9 years ago

Here are some of my tomatoes. I have been harvesting them pretty steadily since mid July. I got my first tomato before the 4th and I am in zone 6A! I currently have a bunch more but I haven't photographed them. My plants have early blight but are hanging in there. They are still producing plenty of good tomatoes. I have had to throw some away.

This post was edited by Christacharlene on Fri, Aug 8, 14 at 0:23

• nanelle_gw (usda 9/Sunset 14)
    9 years ago

Princippe Borghese, Russian Persimmon (I don't see any ), Yaqui, Marianna, Bella Rosa, Clear Pink Early. New Big Dwarf six feet tall, but nothing ripe when I took the pictures.

• tjinpgh
    9 years ago

Here is what I guess would be my 3rd harvest. The previous two were all 4th of July tomatoes, about a dozen each time.

Most of those are also 4th of July tomatoes. about golf ball size for reference sake. The 3 slightly elongated ones on the right are the first Roma to ripen. not sure which variety they are.

the not quite ripe one in the upper left corner was a bush steak that fell loose while i was checking for cracks. The closest to being ripe so far. One other one is a day or so behind that one.

Also in the pic is one single mortgage lifter. I cannot tell you which one as every tomato on my 6 mortgage lifter plants are no larger than my 4th of July tomatoes.

Extremely disappointed in those to the extent that I would almost wonder if they didn't package the wrong seeds.

also in the pic are a few hot banana peppers, which aren't as long as in previous years but doing well as far as production and very hot. along with a couple of cayenne peppers and a few little Thai chilli peppers.

My habanero plants are finally producing. I have one Ghost Chilli plant that is putting out like crazy, with one starting to change to orange. First time growing those so we'll see.

I have three cherokee purples that are turning. they are among the three smallest on the 6 plants. most of the others are a good bit larger. Those will probably be picked in a few days, along with the other bush steak and whatever 4th of july and Roma are ready.

My Ace Bush Heirloom (botanical interests) have decent size tomatoes on them, but none yet starting to turn.

Super sioux are also a major disappointment. very low production and very small. Those were actually the best looking plants I had of all of the varieities I did, yet have performed the worst.

The largest tomatoes I have are my Bush Big Boy from Burpee. Nice size. None close to ripening yet, though.

I have three unknown tomato plants that came up on their own. No doubt from something I planted last year. At least one of those is doing better than the Sioux.

Hopefully we'll get enough warm weather the rest of the month to get what's on the vines to ripen. i'm not holding out any hope at all for anything new to come on.

• christacharlene
    9 years ago

Here is my latest picture. Some of the varieties in the photo are Black Cherry, German Lunchbox, Brandywine, Grant County Pink, Eva Purple Ball, Big Rainbow, Northern Lights, Isis candy and a few others.

• yutopia
    9 years ago

This year I grew:

Carbon
    Tim's Black Ruffle
    Eva's Purple Ball
    Jaune Flamme
    Black Krim
    Blush
    Snow White Cherry
    Sungold
    Black Cherry
    Jack White
    Japanese Black Trifele
    Ananas Noire
    Rose de l'Omio
    1884 Purple
    Pruden's Purple
    Chocolate Cherry
    Mr. Brown
    Italian Ice
    Coyote
    Omar's Lebanese
    Geante de Tezier
    Mortgage Lifter
    KBX
    Orange Russian
    Hillybillly X
    Pineapple
    Bull's Heart
    Djena Lee's Golden Girl
    Gold Medal
    Speckled Roman
    Kosovo
    Oxheart
    Anna Russian
    Pink Oxheart

I only have one plant of each in my small suburban backyard, but i sprouted over 300 plants and gave them to all the family and friends. Makes for great conversation when I see anyone I know, including the Chinese food delivery guy, who walked away from my porch with his arms full of plants when he expressed interest in my seedlings. Next year if I can get my act together, I might try to set up a table at our local VA and give them to all the vets, if the VA would let me.

Here's some of my harvests over the last month or so:

This is not a tomato:

Elisabeth in Pittsburgh, PA

• daniel_nyc
    9 years ago

First tomato: 4th of July. 1.7 oz. Regular taste.

• daniel_nyc
    9 years ago

Second tomato: Red Cherry. 0.5 oz. Good taste.

• daniel_nyc
    9 years ago

First big tomato: Rose tomato. 1 lb. 5 oz. (21 oz) Meaty, decent taste.

• Kpn.Kardif
    9 years ago

Been a great season so far!

• CaraRose
    9 years ago

First orange roma... pretty good for a paste tom

• slowjane CA/ Sunset 21
    9 years ago

Here are the San Marzanos I've been letting ripen up on the counter - destined for the saucepan tonight. ;)

• joeorganictomatoes
    9 years ago

My 2 lb. Homer Fike's Yellow Oxheart heirloom. This variety is from West Virginia and dates back into the 1800's. It has a delicious juicy sweet flavor. I recommend it highly. it is a late bloomer but well worth the wait!

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Here is the star of my garden, so far.

• mariev_seattle
    9 years ago

My larger tomatoes finally started ripening. The Cherokee Purple and Paul Robesons are finally blushing, and I've already harvested a few of the Jet Star. They started blushing at the end of July.

This is the approximate time from transplant for the different varieties to start blushing:

Cherry tomatoes and smaller varieties (Not JTB and Chadwick): ~45-50 days
    Jet Star: 57 days
    Green Zebra: 57 days
    Isis Candy: 66 days
    Paul Robeson: ~65-70 days
    Cherokee Purple: ~70-75 days
    Not Moskvich: 66 days

{{gwi:1371049}}

{{gwi:1371050}}

• Chad5
    9 years ago

Tomatoes are Rutgers, Cherokee purple, mortgage lifter, brandywine, and sungold.

• aegis1000
    9 years ago

Bush Goliath's ( maybe a dozen more on the vine)
    Brandy Boy (maybe 20 more on the vine)
    Mr. Stripey (maybe 35 more on the vine)

(2) vines each

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    9 years ago

Here's some of today's harvest
    {{gwi:26283}}

• seysonn
    9 years ago

This is the one shown on scale in my previous post (@ 12.1oz).
    But now it is my BEST tasing tomato so far.

The Name: UNKNOWN. I planted it from store bought heorloom. In my garden it carries the name : "Cherokee Purple LA"
    I also have genuine CP. we will see how they compare.

It is (was) so beautiful to look at that multi color : Red. Orange, Yellow and green . I cannot believe I ate the whole 12 oz of it.

• hilnaric
    9 years ago

Hmm, seysonn, that looks an awful lot like dcarch's ananas noire, now that it's cut:

(edited for misspelling your name--sorry about that)

Here is a link that might be useful: you say tomato (dcarch)

This post was edited by conchitaFL on Thu, Aug 14, 14 at 13:09

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Conchita, yeah, yeah, you nailed it. Thanks.
    I am glad that I found the true identity of my tomato.

• ediej1209 AL Zn 7
    9 years ago

Seysonn, how would you describe the taste of the Ananas Noire? I know, taste is subjective, but I was just wondering if it leans more to the sweet side or more to the astringent side? It sure looks pretty!
    Thanks,
    Edie

• hilnaric
    9 years ago

It's funny. I think that the cut Ananas Noire is maybe the prettiest tomato I've seen, but it sure has a bad reputation for looks. Even the listing at sandhill preservation warns:
    "Ananas Noire: mid, Ind, black Pineapple, really quite ugly"

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Edie,
    The taste was , I would say, on the sweet side. Very juicy overall. Before tasting it, I had the anticipation that it will taste acidic with all that green. But not so. The taste was very close to black tomatoes like BK and CP. Obviously it must have some black heritage.
    One thing is for sure : I liked it so much that I ate 12 oz of it. :-)

• ediej1209 AL Zn 7
    9 years ago

HMMM... I think I will have to try it next year. Thanks for the input!
    Edie

• Mike
    9 years ago

Well apart from septoria obliterating much of my yields, so far so good ..
    Just a mess of a picture but in the mix are: Genovese, orange banana, yellow brandy wine, Cassady's folly, blue beauty, san marzano, pork chop and copia..

• Mike
    9 years ago

A lot of my Mobil pics display funny on here.. We'll try again:

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Michael, that is an awesome haul. Enjoy 1

Conchita, Anana Noire (now I know the name, thank you !) is not any different from CP and ML. You can seed it in this picture, uncut. The stem side was very clean too.

• green_go (Canada, Ontario, z 5a)
    9 years ago

My today's harvest:

• seysonn
    9 years ago

This is my latest with some bells and whistles

• EEvernham
    9 years ago

Third pick of very big "Big Beef" 6 plants in dutch buckets outdoors!

• goodground
    9 years ago

Seysonn,
    Love the pic. Nice colors! :-)

I did not plant any cherry or plum this year but plants popped up everywhere!

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1371017}}

• CaraRose
    9 years ago

Was on vacation for a week, and the garden was busy--

{{gwi:1371054}}

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

DH took this photo to share with friends and family. Tomatoes include Kellogg's Breakfast, Bobbie (large red heart), Stump of the World, Green Zebra, Box Car Willie, Brandy Boy F10, Juane Flamme, Stupice, Sungold, and Sunsugar.

I've been picking when they start to blush as having critter damage otherwise.

• homegrowninthe603
    9 years ago

Just a few from our harvest so far

• aegis1000
    9 years ago

Late August harvest ... from Bush Goliath, Mr. Stripey, and Brandy Boy ...

• grandad_2003
    9 years ago

German Pink

• wildhaven
    9 years ago

I'm envious of everyone's pretty ripened tomatoes. I finally gave up and pulled what remained of the green tomatoes as I was losing 5-10 a night to rabbits. Little buggers were chewing holes in them and leaving the empty skins. There's already plenty in the freezer, but it would have been so nice to just let things ripen properly.

Mix of Rutgers, San Marzano, Wapsipinicon, Hillbilly, and a Hungarian variety by way of seeds my aunt sent. That variety in particular produced a ton of fruit, but the flavor was only okay. May not grow it again next year. I liked the Wapsipinicon best.

• containerted
    9 years ago

I've been getting one of these large baskets full each day for the last two weeks.

• Gregory123
    9 years ago

Wow all the waiting and hard work is finally paying off in spades. I have picked about 10 pounds myself the last couple of days. I am getting more than I can eat, so I am starting to peel and freeze some.

• mminmd
    9 years ago

Just joined. Here's a pic of a harvest back in mid-July from our plants in pots. Chocolate stripes (best tasting, consistent production every year), Ildi very sweet yellow cherries; Costulto Genovese, and some Homestead 24. Thai Pink Egg has been extremely prolific but doesn't taste like much.

• Mod317 (Zone 5a - SW Ontario)
    9 years ago

Here are some of my Black Krim tomatoes minus a few that I have eaten and lots still on the plant.

and here are some of my Black Cherry and only have a few ripe San Marzano. There are lots on the plant but they are being slow to ripen.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Here is my record in size so far; @ 19.5 oz ;
    Not just the size, its one the tastiest tomatoes I have ever known.

Others:
    Left: Green Zebra, SFT
    Right : Bush Steak
    Front: Red Cherries(No name)

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

They're finally coming in! This is the bulk of the harvest so far, we have eaten/sold a few, I've got 1 bin this size of green tomatoes ripening in the kitchen and 2 3-gal buckets of slicers plus a 1gal and a 2 gal of cherries picked today, and another 6 pints of cherries on the counter.

This post was edited by ajsmama on Sun, Aug 31, 14 at 15:49

• nugrdnnut
    Original Author
    9 years ago

very nice guys and gals! Unfortunately, my harvest has slowed way down due to tremendous blossom drop in July from 100+ degree weather. Harvest should pick up soon!

• Mike
    9 years ago

Ajsmama: didn't realize you were in CT as well! Southern myself.. I'm going to try to get to a market next year.. Do you have much success?