Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
2014 tomato harvest - post your pic

Posted by nugrdnnut N-C WA 6b (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 20, 14 at 19:09

First big harvest on non-cherry tomatoes!

My largest is a 16 ounce Cuostralee! Others in the pic are Early Girl, Cherokee Purple, 1884 (haven't tried yet), Beefsteak, and Paul Robeson (my wife's favorite, so far, of the black tomatoes!).

Still waiting on Opalka, Aunt Ruby's German Green, and Mortgage Lifter.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 2014 tomato harvest - post your pic

It's not time yet.

o

Pass the salt ! That is a beautiful sight !

o

Nice harvest indeed! The tomatoes look awesome - all of them! You have a good color and taste assortment there too!

o

What Hudson said. .. a nice color combinatio and variety.
In zone 7B/8 in WA I am way behind. We know those USDA zone numbers are meaningless when it come to summer gardening.

o

Sorry, could not get the pic to upload. I know it's a pain to click the link but if you are interested, here it is.

NAR, Opalka, Green Zebra, Cherokee Purple, Pruden's Purple, Armenian, Kellogg's Breakfast, Stupice, German Pink, Anna Russian.

Here is a link that might be useful: [IMG]http://i57.tinypic.com/1zgfcjb.jpg[/IMG]

o

From last month in my south central Texas garden...

o

Gorgeous. I'm impressed !

o

Tomato season is starting in earnest here in Southern Colorado. Starting to get the first few big beefsteaks. Here is today's haul. Pictured: Jaune Flammee, Coyote, Black From Tula, Dragoevo, Glacier, Green Moldovan, Nicky Crain, Silvery Fir Tree, Taxi, and Oregon Spring

o

Congrats, Melonhedd & Euarto

Very nice haul. I like the varieties you both have.

In my garden only few Bloody Butcher, Siletz and Sun Gold have limited blushed fruits. There wont be a significant harvest until Stupice, SFT, Matina , Early Treat and Legend start ripening.
Any day now.

o

Yep, we are good.

o

Very nice all!!!

Personally anticipating Opalka/beefsteak/early girl to produce together so Annie's Salsa canning can begin!

euarto... your black tomato looks like a Frankentomato...lol.

o

Here we go. My first harvest. Please don't kaugh.
The big one is a Siletz (6 oz). The next is a SFT and the small ones are Sun Gold. Peppers are used just as garnish . -:)

Wishing you a bigger harvest !

o

I had more, but I had just used a bunch for a pasta sauce. Mostly bloody butcher, 4th of July, and Tumbling Tom, with a few black cherries in there.

I have color break on my first large big beef, which I'm currently earmarking for sliced with salt with a few slices reserved for a tomato sandwich

o

can't delete it

This post was edited by Daniel_NY on Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 15:19

o

They are all producing well right now!

photo CollageIt_zps6c5db62f.jpg

o

hmmmm, is the Brandyboy really larger than the Big Zac?

Or~~~~did you use a better lens on the Brandyboy, since that is your fav?

Gary

o

Hi Gary - the Big Zac - 12oz, Brandy Boy - 14oz. Both great tomatoes - IMO. The photo arrangement - amerature at best.

o

First Cherokee Purples are coming in, along with the first good sized Big Beef. Picked the first bushsteak tonight as well. Was really surprised at how big Bushsteak got.

CPs:

Bushsteak

Big Beef

o

Wow, impressive everyone! Makes me excited! Incredible bounty, Hudson, love it!
Sharon
Ps CaraRose, I grew BB last year and it was a good early tom, should have grown it this year. Gave away the seedlings cause I wanted to try other ones. Oh well!

o

BIG ZAC: I have heard it produce the biggest tomato , up to 7 lbs. Now Hudson's is just 12 oz. My CPs are much bigger than that.

BLOODY BUTCHER: First to ripen in my garden. The plants have lots and lots of fruits. BUT the fruits are on the small size, about 2oz.

SILETZ: A must have , IMO. It is early, fairly productive, small determinant, Fruit size = 6oz. I like it. So far harvested 4 of them. It has earned its place in my garden for the next season.

o

Yes - Big Zac ripened at about 12oz? I don't think our GH environment is right for Big Zac - the plant looked healthy, produced well and taste like an Heirloom - but did not size up for us. I think our nights are too cold in our unheated GH here in Wyoming. Even though we didn't get the size - I would recommend you try the variety in your location - it was a good tomato even if it doesn't size up for you - IMO.

o

Things are starting to add up. Though I used a bunch yesterday for tomato soup from scratch :)

o

Did some canning yesterday, have more to do. A lot of these will be given away this weekend as well.

o

Here are Rutgers University Ramapo and Early girl. The greenish one started to break color on the bottom and was near the ground so I took it off.

o

We picked a few tomatoes today

photo IMG_0988_zps9ec6d318.jpg

o

I picked a "couple tomatoes" too, Hudson.
Were those all "Cherry Tomatoes", that you picked, (LOL)!

Gary

o
Burgers On The Way!

And here is what will happen to one of my "Lovlies", tonight.
It will share space on an onion bun and a lean meat pattie, with all the "fixings"~~~~~cheese, onions, pickles, mustard~~~~etc,
(IE A GREAT BIG DEILCIOUS BURGER)!

Gary

o

Very nice picks Mr. Beno, Hudson and dodge.

I harvested some. maybe 3 lbs two days ago. But did not take pics. Now they are all gone. Yummy.
I just sprayed my plants (Neem Oil fungicide pesticide) . So I will have to wait a few days and then get a haul. They are coming in real fast now. Mostly the ones on the small size side. The bigger one changing from green to white/yellow.

OK, LADIES AND GENTS. Enjoy the fruits of your hard work.

o

Nice tomatoes Gary - I can't compete with the size of those! You grow some awesome tomatoes!! The look delicious too!!!

o

Big crop of Big Beef grown in 5 Gal "Dutch Buckets" outdoors! Everything grew "BIG" stems, fruit and flowers and they were the best tasting tomatoes. Going in next year!

o

Extremely jealous of all of these harvests.

So far, the only thing I've had ripen are a few dozen 4th of July.

Cherokee Purple, Mortgage Lifter, Super Sioux, Bush Steak, Ace Bush Heirloom, Better Bush... nothing even looks close to ripening.

Mortgage Lifters and Sioux aren't even producing well. The others have fair production, I guess. Just nothing close to ripening.

I will probably be seeking the advice of people in the Pittsburgh/tri-state area on advice for what to plant next year. Last year I managed to get a decent crop by the end of August (but, it took nearly 60 plants to do it). This year looks to be even worse.

At a loss at this point.

My sweet peppers are doing even worse. Blossom drop.

o

Me too TJ,

Q: When did you plant out ?
Did you grow from seeds or bought plants ?

If your season is short or cool, look into EARLY varieties to get it started until the MID and LATE varieties join in. I haven been harvesting some early one since July 10 or so. They are :
-- BLOODY BUTCHER, SILETZ, MATINA. plus some cherry types.(Sun Gold)
My MIDs and LATEs have not ripened any yet but getting close.

o

seysonn,
I grew everything from seed this year.

I planted out the week of May 25.

I had been reading up on siletz, Oregon springs, and Legends. Don't have any experience with those, though, or the others you mentioned.

I would have thought my bush tomatoes would be ripening by now.

The flavor of my 4th of July are decent, although they are a small variety. Hoping to find maybe some early slicers. finding some with decent flavor is a bit of a challenge, I guess.

o

TJ, I am growing also Legend. It is getting some color now. Have not tasted it but Siletz and Bloody Butcher
are winners in my garden.

In the picture below I have :

-- Bloody Butchers, Matina, Early Treat, Sun Gold and some unknown grape type. My second small haul.

o

seysonn,

While I'm guessing that the yellow ones are the sun gold, which ones in that pic are the butchers and the matinas?

The slightly larger ones in the middle left (with the green bean between them) look to be about the same size as my 4th of July... perhaps a tad bigger.

I have previously passed on tomatoes this size because I liked to have slicers for fresh eating. Upon further consideration, it occurs to me that the bulk of my tomatoes end up canned or cut up for salsa anyway so, size may not be all that important if production is high.

It's not like it takes that long to peel a tomato, regardless of the size. within reason, anyway.

Please keep posted on how you like the Legend.

o

TJ,
The red ones: are mostly Bloody Butcher and Matina and one Early Treat. They are about 1 1/2 oz each. So you can tell that they are bigger than big cherry tomatoes. I planted those as Early varieties. But I got SILETZ that has much larger fruits ~ 6 oz.

o

Nice. Definitely like the size of that Siletz.

The local farm I used to buy my plants from is said to be getting decent harvests from their fields. I'm inquiring to see what variety they planted.

Do you prune yours a lot?

o

Bel monte heirloom.

2# 9oz and 2# 7oz twins off the same plant. Lots more to come...

Here is a link that might be useful: Photobucket

o

Here are some of my tomatoes. I have been harvesting them pretty steadily since mid July. I got my first tomato before the 4th and I am in zone 6A! I currently have a bunch more but I haven't photographed them. My plants have early blight but are hanging in there. They are still producing plenty of good tomatoes. I have had to throw some away.

This post was edited by Christacharlene on Fri, Aug 8, 14 at 0:23

o

Princippe Borghese, Russian Persimmon (I don't see any ), Yaqui, Marianna, Bella Rosa, Clear Pink Early. New Big Dwarf six feet tall, but nothing ripe when I took the pictures.

o

Here is what I guess would be my 3rd harvest. The previous two were all 4th of July tomatoes, about a dozen each time.

3rd Harvest 2014 photo Photo-0042_zps4721b837.jpg

Most of those are also 4th of July tomatoes. about golf ball size for reference sake. The 3 slightly elongated ones on the right are the first Roma to ripen. not sure which variety they are.

the not quite ripe one in the upper left corner was a bush steak that fell loose while i was checking for cracks. The closest to being ripe so far. One other one is a day or so behind that one.

Also in the pic is one single mortgage lifter. I cannot tell you which one as every tomato on my 6 mortgage lifter plants are no larger than my 4th of July tomatoes.

Extremely disappointed in those to the extent that I would almost wonder if they didn't package the wrong seeds.

also in the pic are a few hot banana peppers, which aren't as long as in previous years but doing well as far as production and very hot. along with a couple of cayenne peppers and a few little Thai chilli peppers.

My habanero plants are finally producing. I have one Ghost Chilli plant that is putting out like crazy, with one starting to change to orange. First time growing those so we'll see.

I have three cherokee purples that are turning. they are among the three smallest on the 6 plants. most of the others are a good bit larger. Those will probably be picked in a few days, along with the other bush steak and whatever 4th of july and Roma are ready.

My Ace Bush Heirloom (botanical interests) have decent size tomatoes on them, but none yet starting to turn.

Super sioux are also a major disappointment. very low production and very small. Those were actually the best looking plants I had of all of the varieities I did, yet have performed the worst.

The largest tomatoes I have are my Bush Big Boy from Burpee. Nice size. None close to ripening yet, though.

I have three unknown tomato plants that came up on their own. No doubt from something I planted last year. At least one of those is doing better than the Sioux.

Hopefully we'll get enough warm weather the rest of the month to get what's on the vines to ripen. i'm not holding out any hope at all for anything new to come on.

o

Here is my latest picture. Some of the varieties in the photo are Black Cherry, German Lunchbox, Brandywine, Grant County Pink, Eva Purple Ball, Big Rainbow, Northern Lights, Isis candy and a few others.

o

This year I grew:

Carbon
Tim's Black Ruffle
Eva's Purple Ball
Jaune Flamme
Black Krim
Blush
Snow White Cherry
Sungold
Black Cherry
Jack White
Japanese Black Trifele
Ananas Noire
Rose de l'Omio
1884 Purple
Pruden's Purple
Chocolate Cherry
Mr. Brown
Italian Ice
Coyote
Omar's Lebanese
Geante de Tezier
Mortgage Lifter
KBX
Orange Russian
Hillybillly X
Pineapple
Bull's Heart
Djena Lee's Golden Girl
Gold Medal
Speckled Roman
Kosovo
Oxheart
Anna Russian
Pink Oxheart

I only have one plant of each in my small suburban backyard, but i sprouted over 300 plants and gave them to all the family and friends. Makes for great conversation when I see anyone I know, including the Chinese food delivery guy, who walked away from my porch with his arms full of plants when he expressed interest in my seedlings. Next year if I can get my act together, I might try to set up a table at our local VA and give them to all the vets, if the VA would let me.

Here's some of my harvests over the last month or so:

IMG_7520

IMG_7490

IMG_7429

IMG_7396

IMG_7343

This is not a tomato:

IMG_7306

Elisabeth in Pittsburgh, PA

o

First tomato: 4th of July. 1.7 oz. Regular taste.

o

Second tomato: Red Cherry. 0.5 oz. Good taste.

o

First big tomato: Rose tomato. 1 lb. 5 oz. (21 oz) Meaty, decent taste.

o

Been a great season so far!

o

First orange roma... pretty good for a paste tom

o

• Posted by slowjane LA CA USDA10-Sunset (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 11, 14 at 15:19

Here are the San Marzanos I've been letting ripen up on the counter - destined for the saucepan tonight. ;)

o

My 2 lb. Homer Fike's Yellow Oxheart heirloom. This variety is from West Virginia and dates back into the 1800's. It has a delicious juicy sweet flavor. I recommend it highly. it is a late bloomer but well worth the wait!

o

Here is the star of my garden, so far.

o

My larger tomatoes finally started ripening. The Cherokee Purple and Paul Robesons are finally blushing, and I've already harvested a few of the Jet Star. They started blushing at the end of July.

This is the approximate time from transplant for the different varieties to start blushing:

Cherry tomatoes and smaller varieties (Not JTB and Chadwick): ~45-50 days
Jet Star: 57 days
Green Zebra: 57 days
Isis Candy: 66 days
Paul Robeson: ~65-70 days
Cherokee Purple: ~70-75 days
Not Moskvich: 66 days

o

Tomatoes are Rutgers, Cherokee purple, mortgage lifter, brandywine, and sungold.

o

Bush Goliath's ( maybe a dozen more on the vine)
Brandy Boy (maybe 20 more on the vine)
Mr. Stripey (maybe 35 more on the vine)

(2) vines each

o

• Posted by Drew51 5b/6a SE MI (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 14, 14 at 9:51

Here's some of today's harvest
 photo 002-11.jpg

o

This is the one shown on scale in my previous post (@ 12.1oz).
But now it is my BEST tasing tomato so far.

The Name: UNKNOWN. I planted it from store bought heorloom. In my garden it carries the name : "Cherokee Purple LA"
I also have genuine CP. we will see how they compare.

It is (was) so beautiful to look at that multi color : Red. Orange, Yellow and green . I cannot believe I ate the whole 12 oz of it.

o

Hmm, seysonn, that looks an awful lot like dcarch's ananas noire, now that it's cut:

(edited for misspelling your name--sorry about that)

Here is a link that might be useful: you say tomato (dcarch)

This post was edited by conchitaFL on Thu, Aug 14, 14 at 13:09

o

Conchita, yeah, yeah, you nailed it. Thanks.
I am glad that I found the true identity of my tomato.

o

Seysonn, how would you describe the taste of the Ananas Noire? I know, taste is subjective, but I was just wondering if it leans more to the sweet side or more to the astringent side? It sure looks pretty!
Thanks,
Edie

o

It's funny. I think that the cut Ananas Noire is maybe the prettiest tomato I've seen, but it sure has a bad reputation for looks. Even the listing at sandhill preservation warns:
"Ananas Noire: mid, Ind, black Pineapple, really quite ugly"

o

Edie,
The taste was , I would say, on the sweet side. Very juicy overall. Before tasting it, I had the anticipation that it will taste acidic with all that green. But not so. The taste was very close to black tomatoes like BK and CP. Obviously it must have some black heritage.
One thing is for sure : I liked it so much that I ate 12 oz of it. :-)

o

HMMM... I think I will have to try it next year. Thanks for the input!
Edie

o

Well apart from septoria obliterating much of my yields, so far so good ..
Just a mess of a picture but in the mix are: Genovese, orange banana, yellow brandy wine, Cassady's folly, blue beauty, san marzano, pork chop and copia..

o

A lot of my Mobil pics display funny on here.. We'll try again:

o

Michael, that is an awesome haul. Enjoy 1

Conchita, Anana Noire (now I know the name, thank you !) is not any different from CP and ML. You can seed it in this picture, uncut. The stem side was very clean too.

o

My today's harvest:
 photo DSC04628_zpsff27e3bc.jpg

o

This is my latest with some bells and whistles

o

Third pick of very big "Big Beef" 6 plants in dutch buckets outdoors!

o

Seysonn,
Love the pic. Nice colors! :-)

I did not plant any cherry or plum this year but plants popped up everywhere!

Here is a link that might be useful: Reaping what i did not sow

o

Was on vacation for a week, and the garden was busy--

o

DH took this photo to share with friends and family. Tomatoes include Kellogg's Breakfast, Bobbie (large red heart), Stump of the World, Green Zebra, Box Car Willie, Brandy Boy F10, Juane Flamme, Stupice, Sungold, and Sunsugar.

I've been picking when they start to blush as having critter damage otherwise.

o

Just a few from our harvest so far

o

Late August harvest ... from Bush Goliath, Mr. Stripey, and Brandy Boy ...

o

• Posted by grandad 9aLa/Sunset 28 (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 27, 14 at 14:25

German Pink

o

I'm envious of everyone's pretty ripened tomatoes. I finally gave up and pulled what remained of the green tomatoes as I was losing 5-10 a night to rabbits. Little buggers were chewing holes in them and leaving the empty skins. There's already plenty in the freezer, but it would have been so nice to just let things ripen properly.

Mix of Rutgers, San Marzano, Wapsipinicon, Hillbilly, and a Hungarian variety by way of seeds my aunt sent. That variety in particular produced a ton of fruit, but the flavor was only okay. May not grow it again next year. I liked the Wapsipinicon best.

o

I've been getting one of these large baskets full each day for the last two weeks.

o

Wow all the waiting and hard work is finally paying off in spades. I have picked about 10 pounds myself the last couple of days. I am getting more than I can eat, so I am starting to peel and freeze some.

o

Just joined. Here's a pic of a harvest back in mid-July from our plants in pots. Chocolate stripes (best tasting, consistent production every year), Ildi very sweet yellow cherries; Costulto Genovese, and some Homestead 24. Thai Pink Egg has been extremely prolific but doesn't taste like much.

o

Here are some of my Black Krim tomatoes minus a few that I have eaten and lots still on the plant.

and here are some of my Black Cherry and only have a few ripe San Marzano. There are lots on the plant but they are being slow to ripen.

o

Here is my record in size so far; @ 19.5 oz ;
Not just the size, its one the tastiest tomatoes I have ever known.

Others:
Left: Green Zebra, SFT
Right : Bush Steak
Front: Red Cherries(No name)

o

They're finally coming in! This is the bulk of the harvest so far, we have eaten/sold a few, I've got 1 bin this size of green tomatoes ripening in the kitchen and 2 3-gal buckets of slicers plus a 1gal and a 2 gal of cherries picked today, and another 6 pints of cherries on the counter.

This post was edited by ajsmama on Sun, Aug 31, 14 at 15:49

o

very nice guys and gals! Unfortunately, my harvest has slowed way down due to tremendous blossom drop in July from 100+ degree weather. Harvest should pick up soon!

o

Ajsmama: didn't realize you were in CT as well! Southern myself.. I'm going to try to get to a market next year.. Do you have much success?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here