Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tomato Mystery Pest

Posted by BridgetteO 7a (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 17, 14 at 19:38

Has anyone ever experienced a pest like this ripping holes in the sides of your tomatoes? I'm thinking maybe birds, but I've never had this happen before. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Whatever it is only targets the more red instead of green ones.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tomato Mystery Pest

Looks like bird, rat or squirrel.

o

Yep, birds. Either pick them at first blush and ripen them indoors or hang something that will move around in the breeze above them like pie pans, ribbon, plastic bags like Wal-Mart or supermarket bags. I always have that damage on the first few to ripen and then I put up countermeasures. Either the countermeasures work or they just decide they don't like tomatoes. :)

o

I get the same damage just about every year when they turn red. I always thought it was the squirrels. Whatever it is, they stop (without countermeasure) after sampling the first 4 or 5.

o

BIRDS.
I think the birds can make that kind of pattern

Leave them water dishes near the plants. They are thirsty, not hungry.

Second option: Pick the maters at color break, take them inside and let them ripen on the counter

o

• Posted by LKZZ 7b (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 19, 14 at 10:52

I vote bird...same markings my chickens made on my butternut squash.

o

birds

can be distracted by shiny objects blowing in the wind or a pellet gun

o

My vote goes with birds as well. I am an expert on squirrel damage! They are absolute terrors. I would never have believed that a squirrel could "pick" a beautiful 12 Oz. Carbon tomato and run with it in his mouth. But I saw it! I was right after him. They are not cute!

o

Had this problem last year. I thought at first it was a squirrel until one morning I caught a glimpse of a grey bird pecking my ripe tomato. Looked like he was after the seeds inside, so he will make a hole in one tomato, gets the seeds and move on to the next… So frustrating.

This post was edited by green_go on Sun, Jul 20, 14 at 20:33

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here