Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
onesteward

Barlow Jap tomato

I'm growing Barlow Jap tomatoes from seeds I received in a swap here a couple of years ago. Since the package said the seeds were not bagged, I've been (unsuccessfully) trying to find pictures and info about this tomato on line. I found just a couple of pictures... one has green shoulders like mine http://2manytomatoes.blogspot.com/2010/07/barlow-jap-reviews-2011.html

Does anyone have info? My seed pack says they are original seed from Brita Barlow...

Comments (4)

• onesteward (Zone 7b)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's the seed pack

• carolyn137
    9 years ago

In the link below is more history and several pictures of this variety, no upside down fruits to show the shoulders, but green shoulders are common on fruits that have not yet developed full color.

It was first introduced by Maria Stegner of Blue Ribbon Seeds and there was a LOT of controversey abut the word Jap, but finally it was decided that if that's what it was called initially, perhaps it was better to keep the original name.

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Barlow Jap

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Quote and picture from "Too Many Tomatoes .."

Camo's 2010 Taste Test-Barlow Jap
    This Pink Oblate tomato was one of the first to show green tomatoes on the plant and plenty of them. They are ranging from about 9 oz. to 12oz. so far but many out there that look larger. Once you slice into this tomato, the first thing you notice is how meaty it is. This is a solid tomato without many seeds. It has a thin skin and a small core, both good characteristics in my book. Still it is reasonably juicy. The first bite reveals the somewhat sweet taste that is quite refreshing to a person like myself. This tomato tastes very good without adding a thing to it, but a little sea salt improves its flavor even more. Grabbing the bear and adding some Zatarains, I found myself almost overwhelmed by the wonderful flavor. The texture is perfect, the taste unbeatable by almost all others so far. It doesn't have that winey taste that DDR has but it's very close to being the perfect tomato. I think it would be a wonderful tomato in sauces, but this was gone much to soon. It's going ahead of the Tarasenko6 in taste, slipping right behind the DDR, for now. This finished the year last year in the #6 position, it's at #2 right now. This is another highly recommended tomato, especially if you favor a slightly sweet taste. Would be great in salads, on sandwiches, or just eating out of your hand with juices running down your chin! Many will recall this being "Too Many Tomatoes" Grandfather's tomato from WW2, it's a keeper! Will always have a spot in my gardens! If you get the chance, give it a try!

It looks like what you have.

• onesteward (Zone 7b)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you both. Okay, so Brita Barlow IS Toomanytomatoes! I thought so but now I'm sure. Yes, that pic from her does look just like mine. I also saw how the ones on Tatiana's site don't have the green shoulders.

The shoulders don't go away when ripe on mine.