Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What does heavy & light production mean to you?

Posted by gardenmommy_2010 8A, Sac CA (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 24, 11 at 19:49

As I did a garden roll call yesterday I was wondering what "heavy" and "light" producers means to different people. So, as a new heirloom gardener, what do you expect when someone says a variety is a light or heavy producer?

For example - my Burgandy Traveler is my "vigorous" plant and "heavy" producer. Each of my 3 plants reach 6-7 ft & have 30-40 med-large tomatoes of various stages. Also, my 3 Black Princes are "decent" plants at 4 ft but "heavy" producers at 20-25 tomatoes each. My Orange Russian & Orange Strawberry plants are all "vigorous" plants at 6-7 ft each but "average" production at approx 15 each (although tons of blossoms now). Aunt Ruby German Green & Hillbilly are "vigorous" plants at 6-7 ft but so far scant production ranging from 4-9 tomatoes each (although tons of blossoms - all tomatoes set w/in last week). Then, of course Yellow Brandywine is a "scant" producer at 1 tomato & some blossoms as well as Prudens Purple at 0 tomatoes & lots of blossoms. But, still, some of my "decent" producers may turn into "heavy" producers as many of them just started fruiting these past 2 weeks & have 10+ tomatoes.

Therefore, what does "heavy" or "light" producers or "vigorous" plants meant to you in your garden? Thanks for the insight!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What does heavy & light production mean to you?

Personally, I associate vigorous with overall size and speed of the plant's growth rate, with or without fruit set.

Heavy production ,in my short growing experience, is somewhere around 20 pounds of fruit. Small or large.

Take care,
Travis

o

Production is usually in terms of lbs. of fruit rather than number of fruit. 20 lbs. is a good approx. seasonal average production so quite a bit more would be "heavy" and quite a bit less would be "light".

I tend to use the labels excellent, good, and minimal when describing production in my notes.

Vigor in plants means more than just plant size to me - includes over all health, color, well spaced nodes, leaflet number and size and shape, diameter of secondary stems compared to primary, etc.

Dave

o

Thanks guys! This is all more complicated than I thought. I don't have a kitchen scale & have never weighed food. Do you weigh your harvests or guestimate based on average size in ounces/lbs & production. Plant vigor other than size makes sense although I don't know anything about leaflets & nodes. But, certainly understand about color, stem comparisons & disease resistance (or lack thereof). Thanks for the info, as I'm keeping track of my plants performances for next year's roster.

o

Just bought a small scale this yr expressly for tomatoes. My biggest so far is one pound but I have several that are quite a bit larger but still green. I was surprised how big a tomato had to be to weigh a pound. The avg large supermarket tomato weigs about 12oz. Also tickled with the size of Burpee Sunny Boy....first time growing this one and it is a dandy, hybrid or no. Porterhouse ditto!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here