Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenang7

amish paste tomato problem

gardenang7
11 years ago

We have an Amish paste tomato plant, and we can not get it to produce tomatoes. The plant is already about 5 feet tall. Every time they produce flowers they just fall off and or dry up. We planted in February, and transplanted outside in April. We planted our Roma tomatoes the same time it has produced tomatoes already. I know that Amish paste tomatos are an heirloom variety while Roma are not. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Comments (4)

• carolyn137
    11 years ago

First, you haven't shared with us where you're growing your tomatoes, in a geographic sense, and what the weather has been like which may have led to blossom drop for AP. Yes, AP is an heirloom variety but so are roma's depending on which specific one you're growing as in not a hybrid.

Second, I have never considered Amish Paste to be a paste tomato b'c it's far too juicy. Back when some varieties were named just b'c of the shape of the fruits on a variety and the fruits on Amish Paste are kind of large plum shaped.

Same thing for Lillian's Red Kansas Paste which isn't a paste variety either.

If the blossoms are just falling off it does sound like blossom drop to me and there's an article about that in THE FAQ section which is at the top of this page. If I go fetch it now I lose this psot, but just click on FAQ and scroll down until you come to Blossom Drop/

Different varieties have different susceptibilities to the temps that can cause it so if it happens with one variety is doesn't mean it will happen with another one.

THe blossom drop could also be the result of clumped pollen which occurs when conditions are very humid. Clumped pollen is not very effective and any non-pollinated blossoms will just fall off, same as with high temps, which causes denaturation of the pollen, meaning it's destroyed.

So if you could share with is what gardening zone, where geographically, and what the weather has been like that might shed light on the problems you're having.

Carolyn

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

One of the other secondary causes of Blossom Drop that you'll read about in the FAQ is excess nitrogen fertilizer and a 5' tall plant that hasn't produced any fruit could easily qualify as one that may have had too much nitrogen.

Otherwise, if they were planted at the same time and are subject to the same weather, feeding, and watering regimen then it is simply a varietal genetics difference. Amish Paste is an indeterminate 85-90 day variety while Roma (depending on which Roma you are growing) is a determinate 70-75 day variety. So they really can't be compared with any validity.

Dave

• gardenang7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I live in region 9. I live in Houston, TX. When the first set of flowers started to grow on the plant a couple of months ago the temperature was in the 80s. It's usually always humid here. The flowers die or fall off but more always grow back but then do the same. The last week of June was very hot (in the 100s) to the point were all my plants were wilting. This past week it has rained every single day to were it I know it has been way too much rain for my Roma tomatoes because they are starting to crack. The weather will probably go back to the 100's soon after this rain stops.

• Chrissykr
    11 years ago

I had zippo luck with Amish Paste last year. I got 10 tomatoes at the most.

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County