Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tessa74

Campari tomatoes are DELICIOUS!!!!

tessa74
16 years ago

Ok, maybe this is the wrong place to post this, but it IS a tomato. I got these at the market at two 2# containers for $3 (because the tomatoes in my own garden have at least 2 more weeks before any ripe ones). They are on the vine and looking gorgeous and irresistable and i had to bring them home. Ate one and haven't been able to stop since. I think i've eaten 5 of them already today. I'm trying my hand at "fermenting" some of the seeds. So here comes a question--- do i change the water everyday? If they come out ok, i'll offer to sase some out if anyone is interested. thanks! Jenn

Comments (8)

• tomatovator
    16 years ago

I think there is an entire article here on how to ferment and grow seeds. Use the Search feature and you should find plenty of info. You do not change the water every day. What do you like about those tomatoes? They are small, have little flavor and seem pretty unremarkable to me.

• koreyk
    16 years ago

I sent you an email explaining how to ferment seeds. Hope it arrives. many times the emails through garden web just do not work.

Korey

• tessa74
    Original Author
    16 years ago

They are small! about the size of a large golf ball. But they are gooooood! They've got great tomato flavor. Unless, i just haven't ever had a great tomato before. It's possible. Anywho, just my opinion i guess. thanks for the info on fermenting. I will be trying to grow these next year. thanks again! jenn

• rocklandguyZ8,SC
    16 years ago

You got them cheap! I paid $4.99 for one container last winter. I saved the seeds, started them in March, and believe it or not, they were the first ripe tomatoes this year. June 20th I picked the first two. Yesterday, I picked six more, and the two plants I have are loaded with green tomatoes and flowers. They are small & firm, but very good; especially when they are the first of the season. I haven't had the chance to get spoiled yet this year with any other ripe red tomato! I already have seeds from this years Camparis that I fermented and have drying on the dining room table. Do a google on Campari and find the history of it. Very interesting! It's a keeper in my garden! Paul

• doof
    16 years ago

The only commercial tomatoes I really like are those Naturesweet cherry tomatoes in the red sleeves, 12 ounces for $3.99. It's highway robbery, paying that much for cherry tomatoes, but, hey, all the other supermarket cherry tomatoes pale in comparison.

I have tried the Campari, and I know what you mean. They don't really bowl me over, but they do have a lot of flavor, sort of a tomato-sauce, tomato-soup flavor.

• barnowl401
    16 years ago

Compared to most other store bought tomatoes, I agree they are extremely tasty. They are the only store bought ones that I gladly eat...

• tessa74
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Had 2 w/dinner, i think i'm gonna go eat another one. ohhh, they are yummy. And i only got them because they were such a great deal! Our stores carry the Naturesweet ones but they are soooooooo expensive, i can't bring myself to buy them.

Paul, wow, that IS expensive. At those prices, i never would have tried them. But since you saved seeds and will be growing them again and again, i guess the cost evens itself out. thanks for your post, it is very encouraging. hmm, i wonder if i can start a seed now for a fall crop.

• tommyhawk1121_hotmail_com
    13 years ago

Camparis are delicious. I live in central Florida and tomatoes are just as expensive here as everywhere else. I saved some seeds from some, only let them dry for about 45 days, and now have about 30 plants(they grow best on a trellis or fence, alot of plant). The tomatoes are at least as good as the store bought ones.I only use sevin 5 dust(when needed for cutworms)so there is minimal insecticide. I use a half strength mixture of miracle- gro. They are awesome.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths