Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
25 things to do with a fresh tomato

Posted by donnamarienj Zone 6b NENJ (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 31, 09 at 20:32

Article from Bon Appetit:

http://www.bonappetit.com/tipstools/slideshows/2009/08/25_things_to_do_with_a_fresh_tomato

Here is a link that might be useful: Bon Appetit Article

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 25 things to do with a fresh tomato

BLT's and Bruschetta are my favorite. I'm making 4 loaves of bread for a party Monday night, they've been raising since yesterday, over night in the fridge and going in the oven in a couple hours. I'll also make a couple loaves of sourdough for BLT's for dinner tonight.

o

Hmmmmm. Home-made bread. Where in VA are you?

I'll be there as soon as I can!!

Cindy

o

• Posted by llaz z6 ma (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 1, 09 at 20:11

If you can get a copy of Paul Bertolli's book "Cooking By Hand" from 2003, there is a wonderful chapter called "Twelve Ways of Looking at Tomatoes". It's truly the most sensual writing I've ever read about tomatoes and lots of fascinating recipes.
Lou

o

25 things.

1. Eat the tomato
2. Think about the other 24 things

Ted

o

The wife made some ''suku'' sauce tonight, it was awesome.

o

Things to do with a fresh tomato

#26 Foreplay

Use your imagination. LOL

o

rj_hythloday -

Just did a search for suku sauce on Google. Didn't get any hits for it.

Would you be willing to share the recipe?

Cindy

o

It's amazing how fiddly chef's can get- just eat the damn thing!! Some of the recipes looked really good though,quick and simple.

o

I'm not sure how it's spelled, I did a search and ''sauce'' come's up translated differently. My MIL is from an Italian family.

Mainly tomatos, peppers, basil slow cooked all day.

o

Here is what I like to do with my toms every year. With all the rain, that has not been possible yet this year.

1. Gaspacho--Cold tomato soup. Put in blender: cubed toms, fresh lemon juice, 1/2 green pepper, couple cloves of garlic, olive oil, S&P, 1/2 peeled cucumber, small onion and let her rip. Chill before serving.

2. Tomato-Mozerella-Basil salad. Slice mozerella and toms. Alternate them and stick fresh basil in between the slices. Throw some fresh herbs on top from your garden, then sprinkle Olive oil, S&P. Baslamic vinegar if you like. MMM good.

3. In winter I make fresh hot sauce (salsa) weekly: put in blender: toms (some frozen, some canned for the juice), onion, garlic, cumin, fresh cilantro & S&P, hot pepper to taste. Let her rip. Eat with tortilla chips.

4. Throw some in your stews and soups and chili.

5, Fresh hot tomato soup. Puts Campbell's soup to shame. Serve with grilled cheese for an easy fall or winter meal.

6. Stuff a big tom with tuna fish salad and place onto a bed of greens.

7. Slice tomato in half. Brush with olive oil, sprinkle some garlic and seasoned bread crumbs and parmesan, herbs, then roast lightly on grill or in oven. Place carefully onto plate.

8. Tomato wedge-orange-basil salad. Separate orange wedges and mix with tomato wedges, olive oil and plenty of fresh basil. Add balsamic. Serve. This is fantastic and great way to get your daily fruit servings.

9. Ratatouille: A sauteed mix of peppers, tomatoes, eggplant, squash, lemon, herbs, onions, garlic. Eat cold or hot. Eat with eggs or eat with meat or alongside your salad greens. Tons of google recipe variations on this.

10. Toss fresh tomatoes, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and fresh basil into a bowl of pasta. Add S&P.

11. BLT. Thick sliced smoked bacon, fresh tom slices, mayo, lettuce on toast. S&P.

Going to make a BLT now for easy summer lunch......yum.

o

I once had the best cold tomato soup at Lutece long ago. Wish I had the recipe.

o

Sugo= Italian for sauce. Suku sounds like an Italian-American word for Sugo
:)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here