Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print

Comments (12)

• rj_hythloday
    14 years ago

BLT's and Bruschetta are my favorite. I'm making 4 loaves of bread for a party Monday night, they've been raising since yesterday, over night in the fridge and going in the oven in a couple hours. I'll also make a couple loaves of sourdough for BLT's for dinner tonight.

• cindy-6b/7a VA
    14 years ago

Hmmmmm. Home-made bread. Where in VA are you?

I'll be there as soon as I can!!

Cindy

• llaz
    14 years ago

If you can get a copy of Paul Bertolli's book "Cooking By Hand" from 2003, there is a wonderful chapter called "Twelve Ways of Looking at Tomatoes". It's truly the most sensual writing I've ever read about tomatoes and lots of fascinating recipes.
    Lou

• containerted
    14 years ago

25 things.

1. Eat the tomato
    2. Think about the other 24 things

Ted

• rj_hythloday
    14 years ago

The wife made some ''suku'' sauce tonight, it was awesome.

• jollygreenpimp
    14 years ago

Things to do with a fresh tomato

#26 Foreplay

Use your imagination. LOL

• cindy-6b/7a VA
    14 years ago

rj_hythloday -

Just did a search for suku sauce on Google. Didn't get any hits for it.

Would you be willing to share the recipe?

Cindy

• llhowland44
    14 years ago

It's amazing how fiddly chef's can get- just eat the damn thing!! Some of the recipes looked really good though,quick and simple.

• rj_hythloday
    14 years ago

I'm not sure how it's spelled, I did a search and ''sauce'' come's up translated differently. My MIL is from an Italian family.

Mainly tomatos, peppers, basil slow cooked all day.

• marial1214
    14 years ago

Here is what I like to do with my toms every year. With all the rain, that has not been possible yet this year.

1. Gaspacho--Cold tomato soup. Put in blender: cubed toms, fresh lemon juice, 1/2 green pepper, couple cloves of garlic, olive oil, S&P, 1/2 peeled cucumber, small onion and let her rip. Chill before serving.

2. Tomato-Mozerella-Basil salad. Slice mozerella and toms. Alternate them and stick fresh basil in between the slices. Throw some fresh herbs on top from your garden, then sprinkle Olive oil, S&P. Baslamic vinegar if you like. MMM good.

3. In winter I make fresh hot sauce (salsa) weekly: put in blender: toms (some frozen, some canned for the juice), onion, garlic, cumin, fresh cilantro & S&P, hot pepper to taste. Let her rip. Eat with tortilla chips.

4. Throw some in your stews and soups and chili.

5, Fresh hot tomato soup. Puts Campbell's soup to shame. Serve with grilled cheese for an easy fall or winter meal.

6. Stuff a big tom with tuna fish salad and place onto a bed of greens.

7. Slice tomato in half. Brush with olive oil, sprinkle some garlic and seasoned bread crumbs and parmesan, herbs, then roast lightly on grill or in oven. Place carefully onto plate.

8. Tomato wedge-orange-basil salad. Separate orange wedges and mix with tomato wedges, olive oil and plenty of fresh basil. Add balsamic. Serve. This is fantastic and great way to get your daily fruit servings.

9. Ratatouille: A sauteed mix of peppers, tomatoes, eggplant, squash, lemon, herbs, onions, garlic. Eat cold or hot. Eat with eggs or eat with meat or alongside your salad greens. Tons of google recipe variations on this.

1. Toss fresh tomatoes, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and fresh basil into a bowl of pasta. Add S&P.

2. BLT. Thick sliced smoked bacon, fresh tom slices, mayo, lettuce on toast. S&P.

Going to make a BLT now for easy summer lunch......yum.

• liz63
    14 years ago

I once had the best cold tomato soup at Lutece long ago. Wish I had the recipe.

• llhowland44
    14 years ago

Sugo= Italian for sauce. Suku sounds like an Italian-American word for Sugo
    :)