Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tomato leaves turning brown and crumbly

Posted by jbclem z9b Topanga, Ca (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 12, 14 at 20:46

Every year some of my tomato plants end up with a lot of leaves that are brown and crumbly. This is just starting to happen now, most of the plant still looks healthy (the photo shows a Heinz Super Roma plant).

Can anyone identify this problem...I'd like to know if it's enough to just pick off the branches/leaves that are going bad, or if more drastic measures are required.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tomato leaves turning brown and crumbly

The rest of your plant looks health. It is possible that that branch was injured (environmentally) or by an insect and subsequently died.

I would prune all such yellowed leaf branches at the first sign. They serve no purpose but possibly a harbor for disease . Just to be on the safe side, I would spray it with fungicide.

o

I get the same thing on mine, here in S Calif.

I've been picking off the brown yellow leaves and I did spray with a copper spray.

In my case, I had no damaged branches, but upon "Close Inspection" it "seems" like it may be my cages that are causing the problem~~~~I first see the infected leaves that are touching some of the cages I used last year. I wonder if some kind of , kind of~~~~hmmmm , whatever clung on to the cages over our winter, and that's what's buggin my maters, (so to speak), alto it is not "Buggs") per say.

Next year I gonna use something to sterilize those cages as I don't see any of the brown yellow leaves where there are new cages.

I just thought that the cages sitting empty in the Sun would be enough to kill whatever was clinging to them, but "Apparently not".

Anyway, "so far so good" We are having the best tomato year ever, lots of nice big Tasty ones!!!

Gary

o

• Posted by jbclem z9b Topanga, Ca (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 13, 14 at 20:35

Here's another photo from an Early Girl plant. It's hard to see, but the two fruits just below have brown splotches covering their skin, and some brown raised patterns on one of them.

o

• Posted by jbclem z9b Topanga, Ca (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 13, 14 at 20:36

Here's a closer look at the brown splotches on the Early Girl fruit.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here