Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Angie83 - ? about milk jug planters

Posted by ajsmama (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 2, 11 at 20:49

Hi, saw your milk jugs on a thread and was wondering how you made them self watering. Noticed you painted them. Assume you use potting soil, but how often do you fertilize the dill (and cilantro? Did I see cilantro)?

I haven't put my dill and cilantro in the ground yet, thought I might give the milk jugs a try since I have lots.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Angie83 - ? about milk jug planters

Why not send her an email? Her email link is on her personal page and you'll get a faster answer that way.

Dave

o

I thought maybe others might be interested too.

o

Hi just saw your post sorry i did use plastics spray paint and most milk jugs worked great the upside down ones grow great but after months of in sun the not hanging well. here are some pics remember its over 100 degrees here the only planters that need to be rethought is the 4 jug upside down ones they very heavy and the plastic doesnt hold up well.

Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

o

Ah, I was wondering if you made them self-watering or something. Just using them as containers? Upside down ones like the infamous T-T?

Beautiful fruit. I'm still waiting for mine (planted not even a month ago b/c of rain).

o

I lost all my dill and cilantro to the texas heat Im starting another batch but I fert 1 time every 2 weeks and they did great till the heat got them even with plenty of water they just died back to nothing they were 2 years old but the new batch is looking good I have them in morning sun and shade in evening .I also made my own watering system easy and great I just turn it on 1 time a day and lines of rows are watered great time saver with the heat over 100 degress.
Angie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here