Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brenzo77

Rio Grande Tomato

brenzo77
12 years ago

Okay got a quick question but can't seem to find the answer anywhere online. I planted some Rio Grande tomatoe the year in my salsa garden and got my first tomato off of it today. Just gotta say YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM. Maybe it's becuase it's becuase I've been limited to the flavorless stuff from the grocery store all winter but man do these tomatoes taste good. They have much more flavor that the Roams I planted last year. So enough about that the question I have is. Can I save the seed from a Rio Grande for next season? I have read that if you save the seed from a hybrid it will not have the carateristics of the hybrid. Heck I don't even know if Rio Grandes are a hybrid and I can't find any info on the web if they are or not. Also is it worth it to save the seeds. I have read that If you save seed from year to year they will be stronger and more resieliant becuase they slowly aclimate to the specific climate of my area. Is this true? Totally in love with this variety and would like to plant it for many years to come.

Thanks for your input in advance.

Comments (14)

• wcthomas
    12 years ago

Rio Grande is not a hybrid, so you can save the seeds and it will grow true. I don't think the plants acclimate and grow stronger in subsequent years as the seeds will be identical each year.

I grew them several years ago and recall them as being very solid and productive.

Here is another discussion on them:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/tomato/msg0713402124468.html

TomNJ

• Bets
    12 years ago

I can't find any info on the web if they are or not.

Hmm, I found a lot of info on the Rio Grande tomato by doing a Google Search for Rio Grande Tomato. If you click on the first link, that takes you to Tomato Growers Supply and you can see it listed there. TGS will put "Hybrid" at the end of the name if the tomato is a hybrid. Look down the page at Super Marzano VFNT Hybrid for an example.

Another place to check to see if it is an heirloom or open pollinated tomato is on Tatiana's TOMATObase.

Betsy

Here is a link that might be useful: Tatiana's TOMATObase - Heritage Tomatoes

• trudi_d
    12 years ago

It's an OP. Save seeds from the best fruits on the best plants. Each year grow out the seeds again and repeat--save the best from the best. By repeatedly selecting seeds of the very best plants you will have a good and reliable seed stock.

• brenzo77
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the input folks, Will be saving seeds at the end of the season. Sorry, Betsy only looked at the listing for Rio Grande, didn't see anything that said hybrid or not hybrid, guess I should have looked a little closer.

• Bets
    12 years ago

No problem! It takes a while to get used to how companies list their tomato varieties. In general the reputable sites will tell you if the tomato is a hybrid. Sometimes you have to dig a bit. If a site has no listings for hybrids, then all plants are probably heirloom or open pollinated, but it certainly doesn't hurt to ask.

Have a great day!

Betsy

• blessedfrog
    12 years ago

I grow heirloom rio grande tomatoes and LOVE them.

I've been saving the seeds from a few tomatoes for several years with great success.

It is a bit of a process to ferment and save the seeds.
    But to me - to save heirloom seeds is an imperative - a duty :)

• trudi_d
    12 years ago

Fermentation is a long process, usually three to five days. You don't have to ferment to safely process seeds. You can try the sani-scrub which the USDA is sharing (the printed pdf) at their visitor center, it takes but 35 minutes--including a half-hour break while the seeds sit and soak. 35 minutes or 3 to 5 days, both work but one is a lot quicker and easier.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to Clean Tomato Seeds (Sani-Scrub)

• Seysonn_ 8a-NC/HZ-7
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

BUMP .
    I am growing Rio Grande this season. So I was curious to know what people think of. Then I came across this 5 year old GW thread. .
    I also googled for some pictures. Here are couple of them.

Anybody is growing, RG this year or have grown it last year ? What do you think about it ?
    Thanks

Seysonn

• PupillaCharites
    9 years ago

I'm growing it Seysonn. It is as common as the Roma tomato here in other places. In another thread we discussed how it is one of the most productive and common varieties out there. I'm growing it to principally to make fresh pico de gallo, a garnish for my piratas. It is being sold in the main selection of Burpee this year as a regular BBS retail item, under the variety name Roma Grande - same OP tomato. Good luck with yours and we can compare...

PC

• Seysonn_ 8a-NC/HZ-7
    9 years ago

PC, .. Thanks for clarifications.
    It is good to know what Rio Grande is. I quit growing Roma because of high BER rate . I liked it just for grilling and canning and as I remember it was not that tasty to slice. But RG seems to be be much better. So I am glad you are also growing it. Another thing that I like about it is that it is DET. and easy to manage.
    I sowed the seeds 2 days ago, for plant out in mid April, hopefully.

Seysonn

• PupillaCharites
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

It is more determinate in size but not in timing since it peaks but then keeps on going :-) Semi-determinate is a better description. IMO the confusion isn't simply a Burpee relabel, but because it is a Roma type of tomato, except more 'grande', and on one hand it was simply called a Roma Grande (a large Roma type generically), as well as a Roma Rio Grande as the type with the variety name, since Roma is so ubiquitious and used as a variety as well as generic. Expect 3 1/2 - 4 1/2 ounce fruits.

PC

• PupillaCharites
    9 years ago

LOL, I'm sure they'll get around to update some of these OPs, but you have to admit, if the variety were named Pomodoro 'Il Fiume Po', it might turn a few more heads ;-)

PC

• marcantonio
    4 years ago

don't think roma grande is the same as rio grande -roma grande is indeterminate.