Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bigpinks

Cherokee Purple

bigpinks
10 years ago

Third yr tried and the nicest crop yet. Several over one pond. Lots of rain must agree with them and I do mean lots. Gave some to a neighbor who took them to a family gathering upstate Ohio and his niecs who is a missionary harvested some seed to take to Africa. Sure someone has grown them there before but it was a satisfying story I thought. Pound that is. CP rapidly becoming a favorite. I love the texture, color and taste. Now the size is good too!

Comments (16)

• fireduck
    10 years ago

I have one in a container that is doing well. I should have ripe ones in a week or two. Can't wait!

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    10 years ago

None of mine ripe yet, but they look good.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

I should've planted CP instead of Brandywine and Black Krim. .
    I like CP. I had some few years back.

• mbrowne
    10 years ago

This is my first year with a Cherokee Purple. Love 'em! I'm only getting 1/2 pounders though.

• bigpinks
    Original Author
    10 years ago

some of mine are Indian Stripe and I had forgotten that fact until I noticed one on my table had a def striped pattern though not real obvious. Some are more globe shaped and smaller and others a def beafstake shape and maybe almost 5 inches across. All taste wonderful.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Here is my first sizable CP of the season.

A picked it a bit early. So the color is not fully developed.
    I will take another picture in couple of days.

• bigpinks
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I had 17 plants this yr and picked prob a hundred tomatoes. Mostly smooth fruit ,,,mostly beefsteak shaped but some almost triangular. They are very meaty and very solid. Great tomato.

• General
    9 years ago

Alas, CP's are not productive here in hot and humid southwest Missouri. All but one of 20+ CP tomatoes rotted on the vine due to disease from cracking before they were ripe enough for picking. Vines also completely dead now from disease.

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Alas, CP's are not productive here in hot and humid southwest Missouri. All but one of 20+ CP tomatoes rotted on the vine due to disease from cracking before they were ripe enough for picking. Vines also completely dead now from disease.

Sorry to disagree but none of that is the variety's fault. That is all growing conditions related. CP does great here just across the AR line from SW Missouri. :)

Instead of writing off the variety for a whole portion of the state look into ways to stabilize your soil moisture levels to prevent the cracking - not easy to do this year with all the rain but possible - and disease prevention.

Dave

• carolyn137
    9 years ago

Seysonn, that's the weirdest shape for CP that I've ever seen.

Are all on the plant the same as the one you show?

Big Pinks, if you look at the early stages of CP you'll also see what some call stripes and on your Indian Stripe ones as well.

Carolyn

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Seysonn, that's the weirdest shape for CP that I've ever seen.
    Carolyn

%%%%%%%%%%%%

Why is it weird ?
    I picked it early. It is not the true color yet.

If you mean the shape is weird, here is a picture from internet.
    It looks like mine.

• carolyn137
    9 years ago

Yours has individual evenly spaced lobes, while the one you show from the internet does not. And I have no problem with the one you show from the internet.

Fact is. that I grew CP before Craig L even named it and SSE listed it, so amongst folks here I'm sure I've had more experience than anyone else.

I was the one who introduced Indian Stripe, see Tania's page for that, so I've had more experience than anyone else here for that one as well.

Summary, I'm not concerned about the color of the one you grew, it's about the shape and I did ask above if all the fruits on that plant were the same, which then begs the question in my mind of how many plants did you put out?I know from many of your other posts that you usually put out just one plant per variety.

Carolyn

• seysonn
    9 years ago

The one from internet is also lobed but not as pronounced.
    I have another one on the plant that has less pronounced lobes. I will post a picture.

Anyway, this is from purchased seeds. (Ed Hume).
    Not all CPs are round. Look at this picture posted by Ed weather (?).

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Or, check this one out. pic from internet

• carolyn137
    9 years ago

OK Seysonn, whatever.

All I'm saying is that your original picture is not what most folks get,and I've linked to Google IMAGES below to show that

It's also the place where you got some of your pictures to bolster your original contention.

Again,whatever,

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Google Images pictures

• sharonrossy
    9 years ago

Hi my CP's have minimal lobes actually almost none. Just starting to get Indian Stripe and I can see stripes on the blossom end, faint but they are visible. Can't wait to eat one. I'm really liking CP.