Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bltlover

White spotting on top of leaves

bltlover
10 years ago

Can anyone tell me what this white stuff is, and if it is harmful? Hopefully you can access this flickr set. If not please let me know.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/67353060@N08/sets/72157634588398706/

We are trying a fence trellis on the left the big tomatoes, then two rows 18" caged better boys, then 2 rows of caged early girls, with a couple grapes thrown in the front. The seedlings were trenched on june 1st.

Overall the plants seem very healthy to me except these white..blotches? I don't even know what to call them. It is sporadic on all the plants. It is not powdery, but I think it spreads by contact to nearby leaves. I have been trimming them off but it keeps spreading so I keep pruning. I just read about cleaning the scissors when pruning so I will start that. The same white stuff appears to be on the nearby weeds, and I included those pics in the set, 4234-4240. There are alsosome pics of some very occasional leaves that are getting stiff/rolling, #s 4219 and 4220 and 4241-4248.

A couple weeks back the older bottom leaves started getting very small light yellow spots, before the white started, and I trimmed those branches. At this point I have not seen that for a while, but have trimmed basically all the lower branches for the first foot off the ground. I did not take pics of that.

It has been basically hot and humid with little breeze and heavy short rains for weeks now. The cages are little too close together on the left of the garden and I would like better air circulation. They get about 5-6 hours of good sun a day. There are tall arbor vitae blocking the morning sun, a pear and oak block late afternoon sun, and the short arbor vitae behind the garden restricts airflow.

Maybe too much information for a first post, but thanks for any thoughts on what that white stuff is!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH