Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
containerted

Free Spreadsheet - 400+ tomato varieties

containerted
15 years ago

I've been collecting a lot of data this year and keep it in an Excel Spreadsheet. It has name, average fruit size, DTM, Det/Indet, leaf type, avg plant height, suitability to hanging baskets or smaller containers, Heat Tolerance, and pollination.

It might help some of the folks new to tomato-mania with some choices for the next crop. I've also included over 40 websites that have seeds or plants.

If you want a copy of this file, go to my "My Page" and send me an email. I'll attach the file to my reply. BTW, your email privacy will be strictly maintained. After the reply, comes the delete. And, remember, it's free, no strings.

Comments (40)

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    15 years ago

Ted, That is way cool for a new veg. grower like myself! I am having a good year thanks to the contributions and advice on this forum!
    AL

• containerted
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The response has been tremendous - more than 60 already. I'll get the replies out as fast as I can.

I have one that I've tried to do and their Email inbasket is FULL. "ingraham", it's time to clean out some of that spam.

For those who got the first copies, the Glacier variety has Potato leaf, not Regular leaf. Sorry 'bout that.

• bdobs
    15 years ago

Hey thanks, I'll send one over

• containerted
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey thanks, I'll send one over

bdobs, did I miss something???? :>)

• christopher_platt
    15 years ago

Can we see about getting a link to the spreadsheet posted on the FAQ? How about a link to the frappr map?

• colokid
    15 years ago

Thanks again. That was just what I needed to try to guess my unknown. Computer now says that it is a bloody butcher 1st choice and a stupice for second choice. Very early PL. Now to wait and see.
    Kenny

• containerted
    Original Author
    15 years ago

bump

• engineeredgarden
    15 years ago

thanks, containerted - that list is impressive!

• vera_eastern_wa
    15 years ago

I have to post my email here because I haven't been allowed to change my email address on My Page in a year now LOL!

la_raspberry@yahoo.com

Thanks so much!! This must of been a lot of hard work and it will be much appreciated :)

Vera

• containerted
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, my fingers have been getting quite a workout. I am so pleased that the spreadsheet has been well received.

"ingraham" AND "lizabeth181" - Your email accounts are full and will not accept further emails.

"twofortysx" and "gchandl" - The server you sent from is not allowing a return. Suggest requesting the file from home.

• tn_veggie_gardner
    15 years ago

(twofortysx)...i'll send you my work e-mail. There may be some type of filter on the iwon.com one. Thanks!

• containerted
    Original Author
    15 years ago

bump

• containerted
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Last bump

• tn_veggie_gardner
    15 years ago

I received it fine at work address...thanks! Quite an awesome source of information for a tomato beginner such as myself. :)

• containerted
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The best part is hearing that the info is helping folks make more informed decisions about SOME of the varieties that have a better chance to grow in the HEAT.

There are still a couple of folks who are having server and/or full email account problems. There have been more than 200 requests for the file. WOW!!!

• containerted
    Original Author
    15 years ago

bump

• hankjrfan
    15 years ago

This is very kind of you. Many thanks.

• penguingardener
    15 years ago

Very nice spreadsheet. Thank you!

• fishymamas
    15 years ago

Thank you so much for the notation on if it can handle heat, nothing worse than big gorgious plants not making tomato whoopie because it's too hot.

• nutmeghill
    15 years ago

Seriously cool spreadsheet.

Thank you for sharing!

PJ

• containerted
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks to all for your comments. It's always good to hear encouragement. I'll have another surprise this fall. Even better than the one you have now.

• vera_eastern_wa
    15 years ago

containerted,

I don't think you sent one out to me yet :(

la_raspberry@yaho.com

Thanks!

• containerted
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sorry about that. I'll do it right now. Every time I bump this up to the top, I get another 15 to 20 requests.

• lehua49
    15 years ago

Hi containerted,

Mahalo for the list. My Tom variety wasn't list.

Maybe "Wada" goes by another name. Sold by a nursery in SoCal. Tomatoes taste great.

It will help for next year, big time.

Aloha

• plant-one-on-me
    15 years ago

I know you have lots of people asking but if/when you have time could I get a copy? Will send an email through your page also. Thanks

• vera_eastern_wa
    15 years ago

I got it!! Thanks a billion:))

Vera

• containerted
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Kim, I think I sent your copy about a half hour ago. I check my Email three or four times each day and reply to the requests. Enjoy.

• containerted
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Per Email Request - Bump

• containerted
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Bump

• containerted
    Original Author
    15 years ago

To "shadoncu", the email was returned saying no email account exists. You might check with your provider or your system administrator.

• containerted
    Original Author
    15 years ago

bump

• containerted
    Original Author
    15 years ago

bump

• cindeea
    15 years ago

containerted-thanks for bumping or I would have missed this. I am sending you an email. Anything I can do for you in return? This sounds like a fab list. We have some newbie tomato growers on the Florida Forum and I am going to steer them over to your generous offer. Please let me know if I can share any plants, cuttings of other natures with you. Be well and happy!

• Anthony Gatlin
    8 years ago

If you still have this spreadsheet available, I would very much love to have a copy.

• gr8itguy
    6 years ago

Hi Ted. I just stumbled upon this post while researching container tomato gardening. I'll be a first time gardener this year. I think it's awesome that you are sharing the spreadsheet that you compiled. I went to your page, but couldn't figure out how to email you from there. I'd like to get a copy of your spreadsheet if you're still making it available. Let me know how to get that. Thanks so much!

Bob
    Zone 8a (Dallas, TX)

• beesneeds
    6 years ago

Containerted hasn't been around for a few years, long enough ago that they probably haven't been back since the GW to Houzz move. They probably aren't available via messages or email.

You don't have your messages turned on either gr8itguy. To turn that on, go to your profile, click the "edit profile" button, then go to advanced settings.. then scroll down to the "who can message me" part and choose the option to let others message you.

• gr8itguy
    6 years ago

Hey beesneeds! I really appreciate the reply. Bummer about Ted not being around anymore. I've been searching and searching for tomato database that was more like spreadsheet. I've found several databases, but none have the filtering/sorting that I'm wanting. You don't by chance have a copy of Ted's spreadsheet, do you? :)

Thanks,

Bob

• beesneeds
    6 years ago

Unfortunately I do not. But some other folks might have some good recommendations to offer that way.

• stevie
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

have a look at Tatiana's tomato database.
    http://t.tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Main_Page
    specifically here for tomatoes which has information for thousands of tomatoes.