Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Egg Shells and Early Blight

Posted by jimmy56 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 23, 14 at 21:33

Been gardening for over 30 years so I thought I would try the egg shell idea, So far no BER but I also use liquid calcium & magnesium, This is the first year that I got hit hard with what appears to be EB (early blight), It is really eating my tomatoe plants up, Starting at the bottom of the plants, Been spraying with Immunox for gardens, Anyone else having bad blight problems this year?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Egg Shells and Early Blight

I dont neither have BER nor EB.

On BER I think liquid calcium is a better choice than eggshell. If there is any benefit in eggshell comes when it is broken down/decomposed.And that will takes months if not years.

I don't know anything about Immunox, but I use Daconil and Neem Oil sprays as fungicide. The latter is organic.

Good luck with the fight !

o

Glad to here you have no problems, I used to use Cooper Fungicide but a friend recommended Immunox so I thought I would try it, See there is some members here using it also and there is quit a few members using Daconil.

o

Jimmy, I think you may find it very useful to read the link below,a recent thread that makes a lot of good points about BER, I posted on July 4th, and you'll also recognize some names of folks here who do post quite often.

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: BER

o

For the first time, I have had no Blossom End Rot this year. I planted the tomatoes late in an area that had been a compost heap years ago. The soil was very dry and I had to water frequently, every other day. After a couple of weeks, I ground up the egg shells from about one or two dozen eggs and whirled them in the blender with water that I then poured over the 4 plants. I have added crushed egg shells a few times since then, but not blenderized ones. Something did it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here