Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tomato plants never got into cages- help!

Posted by bacon13 4 MN (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 19, 11 at 21:36

I have about a dozen tomato plants.......early girl, best boy and roma's. I took forever deciding what to do for cages for them. I finally decided to make my own cages but didn't have much free time to work on them.

Now it is late July and only a few of my plants have any support. Any suggestions on what to do with them? They are laying all over the ground and don't have much fruit.

Can I stake them and then tie them upward some or what? I have a real mess.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tomato plants never got into cages- help!

You can build tripods around them and tie up the branches. Or, let them sprawl with plenty of mulch.

o

You can build tripods around them and tie up the branches. Or, let them sprawl with plenty of mulch.

o

If they are lined up, you can put up stakes at ends and put up a trellis using twine. See youtube video below.

Here is a link that might be useful: youtube video

o

The method shown in Avocado101's video is generally referred to as "Florida weave."

It's not necessary to remove so many suckers.

o

• Posted by bets z5A ID (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 20, 11 at 2:30

I've been using the Florida Weave method of support since the early 2000's, and the only suckers that get removed are the ones I break accidently. I think it is the only way to go when you have more than 100 tomato plants growing.

It's best to start stringing them when the plants are between 1 and 2 feet tall. Any taller and you may break them trying to get them up off the ground. And it helps to run the next course of string before the tomatoes really need it, that way you can tuck them in as they need it.

I hope that helps.

Betsy

Here is a link that might be useful: Florida Weave

o

If you are concerned about breaking them, just let them lie. You may have to wash some soil off the fruit, but they will produce. I can remember that my Dad never staked his toms in the 1950s.
John A

o

• Posted by bets z5A ID (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 20, 11 at 11:47

If you don't want to take a chance on breaking them and want to let them sprawl, you could try slipping some sheets of cardboard under them to keep the fruit clean.

Betsy

o

I would just stake them up at this point. It's pretty easy to put in a stake and tye up the branches so they're supported.

o

Sky hook

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here