Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mexico Midget Exerted Stigmas?

Posted by nordfyr315 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 11, 11 at 21:42

My MMs died in infancy this year but I noticed that the F1 cross with German Queen has noticeably exerted stigmas. Is this a MM trait and also is MM a pimpinellifolium?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mexico Midget Exerted Stigmas?

You'll find different opinions about MM and whether it's a currant or not, please see the link below.

The origin of the seed for MM was Craig LeHoullier and he says it's pea sized, but that alone doesn't make it a pimpinellifolium.

In the SSE YEarbooks it's in the regular sections, not the other species section. But then not everyone can tell the difference re foliage, etc., so that's that.

I've linked to a general Google search below and you'll read all sorts of opinions.

I've not grown it so I can't say anything about it.

Perhaps it's like Matt's Wild, which is a cerasiforme, a half domesticated cherry tomato with a retracted stigma. Perhaps it's a stable interspecies cross as is Sara's Galapagos.

It used to be said that the currants had an exherted stigma thus the pollination by insects, but it's now known that only about half of them do, so looking at that trait doesn't say one way or another what it might be.

I don't know how helpful this is, but whatever.

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Mexico Midget

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here