Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I think I did something bad!

Posted by bholder78 6b (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 8, 14 at 21:43

I fertilized my plants that are in my 5 gallon buckets. A couple days later the leaves all started curling. I'm afraid I have over fertilized. They are not turning brown or drying out...yet. Is there a chance they are just stressed and will come out of it? I hope so! I started watering daily hoping to dilute the fertilizer. I'm so disappointed in myself and learned a good lesson.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I think I did something bad!

Doubt that's from fertilizer. What did you use?

What kind of mix did you fill the container with? If you made your own, please list ingredients.

Also, please post a picture of the entire plant.

o

Agree that doesn't look like fertilizer burn in the photo. Not unless the edges are dark brown and it just doesn't show in the pic. But need more details.

For example, any herbicides/weed killers used nearby at all?

Dave

o

I'll get more pictures in the morning. Not chance of weed killer that I know of. My garden is close to the buckets and there are no issues with those plants. They are in my yard and I don't use herbicides and the no one lives next door. The fertilizer I used is miracle grow for tomatoes18-18-21. I have no clue what else could be causing it. I have 6 different bucket and the all did the same thing on the same day. The weather at night has dropped about 15 degrees and 10-15 during the day. From what I read it looks like some type of stress. I haven't overly watered of anything I have slowed down some watering in the buckets.

o

Leaves curling like that can be due to various causes.

1- Soggy soil : this is not the sams as overwatering. If your medis is well drained you can water as much as you want. The only drawback will be washing down then nutrients. In this case a pale/yellowish foliage will be an indicator. Sogg soil keeps the air/oxygen out of reach of the root system, causing stressful conditions.

2- Certain varieties are prone to lave curling. I know two examples: Black Krim and Indigo Rose. There can be others.

3- Pests: Some pests also can cause leaf curling.

Herbicide seems to be an easy target, to me. But it is not the sole cause.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here