Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
garf_gw

PayPal

garf_gw
11 years ago

It may not be Gardening, but it can affect everyone:

My PayPal account was hacked. They won't restore my old account. They won't start a new account without signing over a bank account to them. Not going to happen.

Comments (13)

• suncitylinda
    11 years ago

How did you find out about it Garf?

• qaguy
    11 years ago

A friend was informed by PayPal that he had reached his
    limit on overall payments. Similar thing. He had to create
    a new account.

Makes no sense. Use a company a lot, make them money and
    then they shut you down. He's a good customer for goodness
    sake!

Mine was hacked one time and wasn't shut down. But that
    was a few years ago.

• garf_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

How did you find out about it Garf?
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    I could no longer access my account, then charges started showing up on my credit card. Once the hacker has your PayPal, they have your credit card.

• robeb
    11 years ago

I can appreciate your frustration, but why post about it here?

• dickiefickle
    11 years ago

Never click a link in an email saying stuff like you must act now,you been comprimised or such ,and click our link and we can fix it, BECAUSE its a scam to steal your info like above . Always go to PAYPAL through your browser ,or from ebay etc.
    And backing your Paypal with a checking account is how they verify its you . Go to Paypal and read the scam warnings for more onfo.

• fusion_power
    11 years ago

Set up a bank account with a minimal amount of cash, say $100. It should be a bank/CU that you do NOT have any other accounts with and, with a little due diligence, it will be a no-fee account. Some accounts will then let you withdraw the minimum startup funds leaving just an empty bank account. Use that account to feed into paypal. They are happy as clams. The advantage is that you can then register a credit card if you choose or you can put money into the account to make paypal payments. If your paypal gets hacked, you won't lose any more than the minimum you keep in the account.

DarJones

• gumby_ct
    11 years ago

I won a paypal dispute yet I could not get my $275 back from Paypal. So what good are they?

6 other people were in the same boat with the same person. Go figure

Ebay is just as bad not wanting to allow another feedback about the seller. Then they tell you they realize w/o buyers there would be no sellers. phooey.

• harveyhorses
    11 years ago

Why on earth would you have your credit card attached to your paypal account? It is easy enough to set up as someone else said a dedicated bank account. We have had one for years, when we make a purchase, we make a deposit, or use the alternate payment option and use a credit card, without linking it.
    Sorry your account got hacked, but learn a little more about secure internet transactions.
    Why is this in tomato forum?

• garf_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I put this here because a lot of people use PayPal and few are aware of the possibility of problems. The horror stories are rampant. Now you can add mine to the list.
    http://www.paypalsucks.com

• RpR_
    11 years ago

Garf:
    Check that supposed paypal site VERY carefully.
    My account was hacked and the hackers site is IDENTICAL to the real one.
    They wanted the same thing from me so I started looking for a telephone number on the site to call them and not play games with e-mail.
    I knew something was bs when the phone number WAS NOT toll free.

I went through days of brain dead butt-monkeys till I forced a person at ebay (they are owned by the same company) to give me a safe phone number for someone who was not a simple butt-monkey for the higher ups.
    He said, yes you have been hacked and that is a "spoof" site.
    Beyond that they did not give damn.

They told me to use a different c card.

• noinwi
    11 years ago

I have received 'spoof' paypal emails. I never click on them, but report them to paypal for confirmation. Some have been legit, but some have indeed been 'spoof'. I don't even click on my account statements, but enter paypal through ebay. I don't trust any emails that ask me to give info or 'click on the link' unless it's to join a forum or something similar and usually that's an immediate transaction. I just never trust anything, I guess.

• dickiefickle
    11 years ago

To reitterate
    "
    Never click a link in an email saying stuff like you must act now,you been comprimised or such ,and click our link and we can fix it, BECAUSE its a scam to steal your info like above . Always go to PAYPAL through your browser ,or from ebay etc.
    And backing your Paypal with a checking account is how they verify its you . Go to Paypal and read the scam warnings for more onfo. "
    And for you that are complaining the most ,go read what steps Paypal has advised you to take to keep your account safe .Remember Paypal does NOT make a profit from you being ripped off. Take toime to read.educate.and arm yourselves,take responsibility ,you allow it to happen by doing nothing.

• colokid
    11 years ago

I have had good luck finding and getting seed from E-bay sellers. Like all E-bay things let your second sense warn you of bad ones. Better luck than with one well know highly publicized seller who's last order was two wrong out of eight. Its so easy to find the one you are looking for with out hunting through a bunch of catalogs.