Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should I empty my pot saucers?

Posted by dominickg23 none (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 30, 14 at 21:54

I read somewhere that I should NOT empty them because the pots would start to drain before the soil was fully watered and thus I should allow it to be recovered.

Now I read somewhere else that leaving it there will suffocate the roots and/or cause soil toxicity, is this the case?

I have tried searching but I couldn't find a sure answer.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should I empty my pot saucers?

The rule is that you should never allow a plant to sit for long periods in water. A plant should be watered thoroughly, the excess water allowed to drain off before being placed back on the saucer.

Roots can begin to rot if the potting medium remains saturated for long periods of time. Your goal should be to drench the whole volume of soil but allow it to drain rapidly.

Does that help answer your question?

o

Absolutely does, thanks.

Although I no longer see the point of even having the saucers.

o

The way that I do it is to fill the saucers with water, wait an hour or so and then empty the sauce if necessary or fill it with more water if it has gone down too fast.

Linda

o

I leave the water for the very few smaller pots that have saucers outdoors, most don't have them. They evaporate or the water gets drawn back up in a few hours. Since it's so hot they have to be watered every day and the water is never there for very long. If you had a cool rainy period, where the water remained standing for days, it would be different.

o

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 18:46

I no longer see the point of even having the saucers.

Because in extremely dry hot weather that water in the saucer will be quickly reabsorbed by the plant.

There is no one method fits all times. Wet cooler weather with lots of rain, yes you may need to empty the saucers. Hot and dry weather, no as the plant will use it within a short period of time.

Think of saucers as a poor-man's form of self-watering containers. We leave water in self-watering containers for short periods of time, right? So for much of the summer heat the water can remain in the saucers just note how long it takes it to disappear. If it is still there 24 hours later, dump it.

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here