Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
hello, second harvest??

Posted by daninthedirt central TX (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 21, 11 at 21:56

I've been growing cherry tomatoes for a decade. ALWAYS prolific and delicious. But this year, after a record harvest, just petering out now in mid July, my Sweet 100 vines/bushes (which are about eight feet tall now) are greening up with big new sprouts, which are loaded with new flowers. Huh? This is the first time I've seen that. Now, the temps are also 100F, but I've got the plants well mulched, and they get plenty of water.

Am I really looking at a second harvest in September?? How did I manage to do that? Last year or two I may have done Red Cherry. Is this a species characteristic of Sweet 100, or just dumb luck?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: hello, second harvest??

I planted sweet 100 last year. They produced more into the summer than any other variety, but eventually stopped producing mid summer, and I yanked-em out. Maybe you're on to something there...

o

Uhhh, Sweet 100 is an indeterminate variety so yes, like all indeterminate varieties it will continue to grow and produce fruit - weather permitting - all season long unless killed by disease or a freeze.

Dave

o

Well, sure it's indeterminate. I always plant indeterminate varieties. but I figured that meant that if the vines could be kept green, they'd continue to produce. My experience is that indeterminate varieties produce for an extended period of time, but then they depart. That's evidently not the way it works. The vines that produce do die off. What is surprising me is that new vines are sprouting and RAPIDLY growing! Those new vines have loads of flowers.

Like dogwind above, in the past, when the vines finally start to brown out after several months of production, I just yank 'em. Wrong move, it seems. Clear out the dead vines, water like crazy, and stand back! I didn't do it but some high N fertilizer might be good to apply at this point.

We'll see if these new flowers actually fruit ...

o

High nitrogen will only produce nice green leaves, not fruit.

o

• Posted by natal Louisiana 8b (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 23, 11 at 16:44

I pulled 15 plants today, but left 7 and trimmed them up a bit. Sun Gold is still producing, although I'm only picking a few tomatoes a day right now. We'll see how they all do the next couple months.

o

Yes, you're right, nitrogen fertilizer is a bad idea, especially now, with flowers out.

The issue will be fruit set, with nighttime lows around 75F and daytime highs around 100F. But Sweet 100s, I hear, are pretty tolerant of high temperatures. We'll see.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here