Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
achang89

Yellow Brandywine Not Fruiting

achang89
10 years ago

This is the first time I grow this and I have 3 plants. The plot is mostly in the sun and the plants grow inside tomato cages. They grow to the top of the 5' cage and look very healthy. But they only have about 3-5 small tomotoes. Some of the flowers faded and dropped. Together, I have 4 Celebrity tomotoes. They are about 4' tall, but a lot more fruits.

I also have Big Beef, Big Boy, Supersonic tomotoes, total about 15 plants. They all grow to 4'-5' tall and they bear a lot more fruits. Some of the the fruits are ready.

So I do not know what is wrong with the Yellow Brandywine. I know it is considered heirloom. But the result has been disappointing.

Comments (8)

• achang89
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I just counted the tomotoes. There are about 2 tiny ones (about 1" size) on each 5' plant. This is bad. Total waste of time.

Maybe we can get a bigger harvest in September? I do not count on it.

• robertz6
    10 years ago

If I get five tomatoes off a Brandywine, I'm happy. Tried Red, orange, black and purple.

Don't bother to plant Brandywine or other problematic heirlooms unless you've also growing other more productive types that can provide the vast bulk of your tomato diet.

Nothing like several cherry tomato plants. Last year of my 15 plants, two cherry tomato plants provides 70% of my tomato diet.

• achang89
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, I knew that after doing some research. Sorry no more Brandywine.

The reason to have the Brandywine is that one year, my neighbor friend grew Red Brandywine and we got chance to pick theirs when they were away on vacation. I remember the fruits were huge.

I do not know if that was a different year, or the climate has changed this year, such as more rain etc.

I grew some cherry tomotoes last year, but they were late and I did not cage them. So the production was not high. But the other ones grew well and we had 2-3 weeks that we could not eat all the tomotoes.

I remember we had the boys and girls, Celibrity, Rutgers, Roma, Jubilee (yellow) and the husky cherry.

• Stellabee
    10 years ago

I grew yellow brandywine last year and got very few fruits per plant too. I think brandywine is a super delicious tomato that only produces when it really wants to...or when every little thing is perfect for what it wants/needs.

If you are looking for Brandywine like flavor, Prudens Purple is supposed to be a very comparable heirloom in terms of taste but with much more fruit set and disease resistance according to those who grow it. I'm going try it next year in hopes of getting that wonderful flavor...

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Geez. I am sick of Brandywine too. First , I had heard that it does not like HOT weather. Now I am in the PNW, weather is cool and nice, but this thing is not doing anything. I am so upset that I might just pull it out and get rid of it. Damn thing is 6 ft tall.

• Bama73
    10 years ago

Brandywines are very hard to get tomatoes from in the Southern states. I have grown them last three years and only had decent production one year but what you get tastes good, LOL

• achang89
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, tasting good is very subjective. I do not want to watch the plants to grow to 7' and only set 3 tomatoes. Well, the birds may get one and the rabbits get another. I can only pick the green one? lol.

No more next year.

• Tomato_Tommy
    10 years ago

I currently have 2 brandwine's and both are about 5 foot tall and have at least twenty fruits set each already. The plants are still growing and I can see more flower sets coming on. We have even had a few weeks of 100+ weather and it has not affected them. I have grown them the last two years here in ID with similar results. I never even heard of them until last year when I bought a plant on a reduced sale from one of the local nurseries. It was half dead but I only paid a buck for it so I figured what the heck I will see if I can rescue it. It was labeled a pink Brandywine when I bought the original plant last year. It did great and showed promise after even only a few days after transplant. I think I ended up getting about 30 fruit from it but they were very late in the year so some I picked before the frosts started in October. I saved some of the seeds from the plant last year and did several starts this year, gave some to friends and only kept the two plants this year but next year I think I am going to do more. And I might add they were very good taste wise....can't wait for my first BLT on homemade bread this year.