Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Piccolino tomatoes.

Posted by barb_roselover_in (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 18, 12 at 22:11

Sometime ago, I wrote about the Piccolino tomatoes grown in Great Britain. My daughter made another trip to London and purchased some. She brought them with her and now I have them in my possession. It is now up to me to try and obtain these seeds. What is the quickest way to do this? Squeeze the seeds out and let them dry or how? I would appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks so much. Barb

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Piccolino tomatoes.

try googling " saving tomato seed" ?

o

The information I obtain by Googling is that this variety is referred to both as Piccolino and Piccolo and is an F1 hybrid bred by DeRuiter seeds which I think is in the Netherlands.

I linked below to one site in the UK which ID's it as an F1 and there other references to it being an F1 hybrid via Google.

So are you saying that your daughter brought you actual fruits, in which case saving seeds from those fruits would be the F2 saved seeds and would not, when sown and grown out, give you the same fruits that she brought you.

Or are you saying that she brought you seeds of Piccolo F1 and you raised the F1 plants and now want to save seeds from those F1 fruits ?

In either case one doesn't usually save F2 seeds from hybrids b'c they won't give you back the same as the F1.

Nothing wrong with those F2 seeds, they would germinate just fine, but being F2 seeds, as I've noted, you won't get back what the true F1 plants and fruits look and taste like.

So while I could direct you to some great sites having to do with processing seeds I can't see the sense in doing that b'c this variety is F1.

This variety is also offered by many hydroponic places,as the F1, of which one is in Colorado, but I suppose the prices there are high since it's usually commercial hydroponic growers who need lots of seeds and F1 seeds are almost always higher in price than are OP ( open pollinated) seeds.

Am I making sense here, I sure hope so. ( smile)

Carolyn

Here is a link that might be useful: Piccolino/Piccolo F1 tomato seeds

o

My preferred method:

1) Eat, spit, dry

Works every time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here