Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
midwestannie

Hello from a newbie

midwestannie
9 years ago

Hi all,

I just wanted to say hello. I am a newbie of sorts--I was here ten years ago under a different moniker, and in a different area, but quit when my life became very complicated. At that time I only did flower gardening; now I am in the second year of tomatoes and cukes (and dill and some carrots which may not make it) and chives along with lots of flowers. I'm in SW Wisconsin now. Last year my tomatoes were completely blown out by BER, though the cukes were wildly successful (and I already am seeing developed, almost pickable fruits).

This year, I amended the soil in the raised bed several weeks before planting in my raised bed with compost and a little lime; I've amended further with some Oscal (my soil tested at 8.0 so it's very alkaline; I think that's the name of the product. It's meant to get hydrangeas to turn blue.). I also have a BER treatment if needed. Because I couldn't get the plants into the ground before June 1 given our weather--very cool and rainy--I'm only now seeing fruit setting.

Is there anything else I can be doing now? Things do seem to be coming along; I have fruits coming out though still very green (my Hillybilly is looking fascinating already) (my other heirloom varieties are Brandywine, Cherokee Purple, Nebraska, and Wild Cherry-all from Annie's Heirloom Seeds). I raised all from seed under a grow-light.

I have a related question about the cherry tomatoes. I have two plants in a large container. They seem to be spreading significantly. Should I be pruning? I've attached a photo.

I'm new to tomato growing and will appreciate 5A advice! I did go through recent replies and didn't see too much directly related--I hope my questions aren't too annoying.

Thanks,
MA

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County