Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
djkj_gw

Please help me identify this tomato variety

djkj
10 years ago

This plant has been growing by itself for the last 2 years or so (from the seeds of the ripe tomatoes falling). They taste delicious and seem to be an indeterminate variety. Can you please help identify them? Int he harvest photo they are towards the viewer.

Comments (5)

• Bets
    10 years ago

Your tomato looks like it might be a "paste" or sauce type of tomato. Other than that no one can say for sure what variety it is since there are literally hundreds of paste types. Tatiana's TomatoBase lists 430 paste type tomatoes and many of them look like your tomatoes. Do you know what kind of tomato was grown there previously?

Identifying a tomato variety from a photo is nearly impossible since there can be a great deal of variance in appearance of a variety in different regions due the the influence of the myriad of factors in growing tomatoes. And then there are so many tomatoes that look alike, but are definately different in other ways (flavor, leaf type, growth habit).

If an "expert" examined your tomato and the plant it came from, they would be able to tell you if the plant were determinate, semi-determinate, or indeterminate; regular leaf, potato leaf, or rugose; perhaps cherry, paste, heart or beefsteak. But if the "expert" was not told what variety that "big fat juicy tomato" was, there is no way to know.

The only way to be relatively sure of what tomato you have, is to obtain seed from a reputable source, start them yourself, make sure you label them and do not mix them up.....and even then it might not be correct.

If you like them, save seeds from them and grow them again.

Sorry I can't give you a difinitive answer. Only the person who planted the original might be able to do so.

Betsy

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Exactly as Betsy said. We get lots of requests to try to do this - ID a fruit or plant - and it is impossible to do. There are literally hundreds of varieties of each type/shape/size/color of any fruit not to mention this was apparently a volunteer so most likely some sort of hybrid throwback..

Dave

• djkj
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the inputs

• seysonn
    10 years ago

The ones on the plants (and the harvested front half) probably are either:
    --Baby Roma ..OR
    -- San Marzano

• Bets
    10 years ago

Seysonn,

They may look like Baby Roma or San Marzano.

But they also look like Amish Paste.

or

Amish Red

or

Opalka

or

One of many other pointed red/pink tomatoes:

Anna's Multiflora
    Apple Tree
    Vzryv
    Aztec
    Bobbie
    Brandysweet Plum
    Brin de Muguet
    Britain's Breakfast
    Burkina Faso
    Burning Spear
    Cornue Des Andes
    Eleanor
    Ernie's Pointed
    Ernie's Pointed
    Lau's Pointed Leaf
    Erotica
    Fireworks
    Food Pantry Grape
    Gallo Plum
    High Crimson
    Howard German
    Iditarod Red
    Jet
    Jolly F1
    Kiev
    Kimberley
    Kotlas
    Kron-Prince
    Laketa
    Larisa
    Legenda Tarasenko
    Micro Tom
    Myona
    Polish Linguisa
    Rianto
    Roger's Juicy Red Oblong
    Romanita
    Roza Vetrov
    Rozovyi Flamingo
    Russian Dagger
    Sarnowski Polish Plum
    Shapka Monomakha
    Sosulka Rozovaya
    Sweet Dreams
    Téton de Vénus
    Téton de Vénus Jaune
    Tip Top
    Trinity Red
    Ukrainian Poet
    VB Russia
    Zwerg Israel

Or hundreds of others.

Yeah, I know not all of those are paste tomatoes, but they are all red or pink and usually do have nipples on the blossom end. I didn't really want to narrow it down more, but you shouold get my point.

MY point is, with VERY few exceptions, you can't tell a variety by looking.

Betsy

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio