Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Another tomato pruning question

Posted by westminstress (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 5, 14 at 22:37

This is my first year growing tomatoes, I have two sweet 100s and one sungold, and all the plants are insane! At least six feet tall with tons of flowers and fruits (none ripe yet). I have them staked with tomato towers and the supports seem tall and strong enough, but I wasn't diligent enough with the pruning at the beginning. Should have kept them to a single stem but didn't! So, my question -- I see that often the recommendation is to prune out the suckers. I try to do that, but sometimes I miss one, and by the time I find it, it seems like it is all set to make flowers and fruit, which makes me reluctant to cut it off. My tomatoes just seem like they really want to produce fruit off the suckers instead of the main stems. But I don't want too much rampant growth, and there is a tangle of branches that I think could use some thinning. Should I trim off the suckers even if I can see tiny flower buds forming? Or would it be ok to let the sucker grow and trim off the leafy branch underneath it on which no flowers or fruit form? I wouldn't take all of those, but just thin the foliage a bit. Or just give up and let nature take its course? Thanks for your advice!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Another tomato pruning question

My tomatoes just seem like they really want to produce fruit off the suckers instead of the main stems.

Yep, that is their nature. :)

Or would it be ok to let the sucker grow and trim off the leafy branch underneath it on which no flowers or fruit form? I wouldn't take all of those, but just thin the foliage a bit

That is the best way to go if you have to do some pruning. Just don't over-do it. The plant needs those leaves to produce energy and to shield the fruit from sunburn. Where you live (need to include that info) will determine how much sun scorch protection your fruit needs.

The two varieties you planted are two of the biggest plants out there by far so keep that in mind for next year when it comes to choosing varieties or method of support.

Dave

o
RE: Another tomato pruning question

Thank you! I'm in Brooklyn (is that 7a?). I feel better knowing I can trim a few (not too many ) of the leafy branches as needed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here