Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tammytomato_gw

Suggesting new tomato breeds - Unsure how plant breeding works.

tammytomato
12 years ago

Hi, I haven't been here in a long time, and the season is Summer here now (at least in my zone). I am unsure of how to breed tomatoes, and any plant at all, but I always wanted to see or hear about the outcome of some tomato breeding trials. I would like to suggest three possibly new tomato varieties, with names I have chosen, as well as what tomatoes would be bred. I never succeeded in breeding anything of a plant, so I wish someone could breed the following tomatoes, and give them the names I suggest, if at all possible.

If any of these are not possible, please tell me why (for example, some tomatoes are F1 Hybrids, which I believe cannot be bred "true to their type").

1. Breed the "Brandywine tomato", and a "Red Sausage tomato", and call it "Brandy Sausage".

2. Breed the "Yellow Pear tomato", and the "White Beefsteak tomato", and call it "Lightbulb tomato".

3. Breed "Yellow Pear tomato", and a "Green Sausage tomato", and call it "Ivy Pear tomato".

Thanks in advance, and please show and tell about the outcome if possible. Happy tomato breeding!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH