Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tim45z10

Tomatoe ID

tim45z10
11 years ago

In the upper left hand corner of the picture on this page is a tomatoe I believe is called a Mr. Stripey. It is green and red. Maybe this is not the right name. What I am wondering, is this an heirloom tomatoe? I planted some this year and my tag disappeared. They sure do taste good.

Thank You.

Tim

Comments (11)

• carolyn137
    11 years ago

Mr. Stripey is not green and red. it's a gold/red bicolor that at maturity is a large beefsteak that looks gold with a second color, a pinkish/red, that extends upwards from the blossom end towards the stem end on the outside, and and if you cut open the fruit that second color is seen as a marblisg inside.

There are well over 200 named bicolors of the same kind.

So if you planted Mr Stripey this year something red and green would not be Mr. Stripey which is an heirloom variety.

And yes, a picture would help but I also know that not everyone has a camera or cell phone to take pictures, and I'm one of them. ( smile)

What other named varieties did you plant this year that might represent your red and green one?

Carolyn

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    11 years ago

Sorry, I only mentioned a picture because the poster did. Maybe I missed something, but I didn't see any picture on the page mentioned. Maybe my page is different. I wasn't trying to be smart. I don't have a cell phone either.

• carolyn137
    11 years ago

ed, not to worry, I didn't see a picture either but yes, I thought you posted about a picture, asking for one. LOL

I've been watching too much Olympic tennis and other events, so that's my story and I'm sticking to it and when someone is playing and the match isn't good, then I come back here to my computer and check my e-mails, etc. LOL

Carolyn

• tim45z10
    Original Author
    11 years ago

when you first open up the tomatoe forum there is a picture of a basket with many different tomatoes. The one I am speaking about is at the 11:00 position. It is red with a green top.

11 years ago

Thanks Carolyn, no problemo.

OK, it's the Miracle Grow basket. I see the orange one in the upper middle, and it looks to me like to the left and right of it is a red tomato with maybe black on top. I don't see a red with green on top. Sorry I can't help with the ID.

• tim45z10
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I can see where it may look black, it has the stem facing sideways.
    Thank you for your help.
    Tim

• carolyn137
    11 years ago

The basket of tomatoes on the upper right has nothing to do with Miracle Grow.

Many years ago there was a contest here to chose the best photo to represent this Forum and the one pictured won and was from Patrina, who hails from Australia.

Many times folks have asked the varieties in that basket and years ago she answered and IDed all of them, but I did a search entering all kinds of words and can't find that thread.

Patrina hasn't been here at GW in a very long time. She is the Coordinator for the Southern Hemisphere for the Dwarf Project at another site, and I could ask her, but I doubt she remembers the names of the varieties since it was so very long ago that that contest was held.

Carolyn

• tim45z10
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I found the tag. It is a black krim.

11 years ago

Yeah, I thought the top of that tomato looked black but wasn't sure with lighting, angles, etc.

MG certainly did a stroke of business getting their logo/ad to cut into the picture like that.

11 years ago

Interesting....on my 15" monitor the MG ad cuts into the upper left corner of the tomato basket photo which is why I thought they had something to do with the photo, but on my wife's wider monitor the MG logo is completely separate, and at least a couple of inches to the left of the photo.