Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladon_gw

Post your favorite tomato dishes!!

ladon
12 years ago

Hey All,

So for me it's not really summer until I've made my my first tomato pie from my garden. I am crazy nuts for this stuff, so I thought I'd share and hope you all can share pix from your favorite tomato dishes as well.

Sending you all the best!!

Don

Comments (35)

• homeend
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

if want posts about recipes try posting your question on home forum food forums.

• felin
    12 years ago

Ok Don,

Now that looks incredible, but where's the recipe?! Can you post it up for us?? Can't wait to try it. I have that exact Pampered Chef stone too.

One of my all time favorites is for a light meal and it is super easy and lovely for the taste buds.

Angel Hair Pasta
    (for a light, delicious meal, or use as a side dish)
    Ingredients:

� 3-4 pounds ripe tomatoes
    � 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    � 1 Small Red Onion, finely chopped
    � 6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
    � 1 pinch of red chili flakes
    � 1 teaspoon sugar (optional)
    � 1 pound dried angel hair pasta
    � 1/2 cup grated Parmesan, plus more for garnish
    � 1/2 cup fresh basil, plus whole sprigs for garnish

Directions:

Bring a large pot of water to a boil and prepare an ice water bath. Cut a small "x" on the bottom of each tomato. In batches, place the tomatoes in the boiling water and blanch them for 30-60 seconds (until skins are easy to peel off). Remove and immediately plunge into the ice bath. Peel the tomatoes and halve horizontally. Squeeze out the seeds, using your thumbs to get them all. Roughly chop the peeled and seeded tomatoes. Set aside.
    Heat a large saute pan over medium high heat. THEN add the olive oil and heat. When the oil is hot, add the onions and saute for 2 minutes. Add garlic and saut� for 1-2 more minutes. Add chili flakes and saute until the garlic begins to turn golden brown (NOT black). Add the tomatoes and the sugar and stir well. Lower the heat and cook slowly until the mixture is fairly dry, about 15 minutes.
    Cook the angel hair pasta in boiling, salted water until al dente. Drain the pasta and add it directly to the sauce. Add the Parmesan and fresh basil and toss well. Place in a large pasta bowl and garnish with Parmesan and basil sprigs.

Such a deliciously fresh tasting dish!!

• ediej1209 AL Zn 7
    12 years ago

Here's my favorite:

2 slabs of homemade bread (sliced thick enough to hold together but not so thick as to overwhelm the tomato)
    1 large tomato that you JUST picked
    4 - 5 strips of a really good-quality thick-sliced bacon
    1 good slice of Muenster cheese*
    1 lettuce leaf
    Mayonnaise

While bacon is frying, lightly toast the bread. Place the Muenster cheese on one slice of toast and slather the other slice with mayonnaise. Drain bacon and put on top of cheese, put lettuce on top of bacon. Slice tomato into as thick a slab as you can and still be able to cram the sandwich into your mouth. Place on top of lettuce and top with mayo-smeared toast slice. Dig in!!
    *I use Muenster because it melts pretty much on contact with the hot toast and hot bacon. Use any good melting cheese that you prefer - but NOT that awful yellow stuff that tries to pass itself off as cheese!

Another really good way to serve tomatoes is to cut several tomatoes in half (I use 1 tomato per person), sprinkle with salt, pepper and several shreds of fresh basil leaves, then pile on shredded mozzerella and put under the broiler for a couple of minutes to melt the cheese. Watch carefully to keep from burning. OR you can put the halves into a disposable aluminum pan and place on grill until the cheese melts.

Enjoy!
    Edie

• ladon
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hmmm... I've never really written down the recipe, so I'll have to wing it! These are approximations but like everything else much is a matter of taste. I've also simplified it by buying ready-made pizza dough from my local market. Frankly, its as good as anything I can make and saves lots of time and trouble. Also, I've found oregano and thyme are great for this, but you can add whatever herbs you like. So here goes...

2 bags ready made fresh pizza dough (approx 4 cups)
    2 pints fresh ricotta (italian, not polly-o...can't be too wet)
    6-8 cloves garlic minced
    2 tbs. chopped fresh oregano
    2 tbs. chopped fresh thyme
    bunch of fresh thyme unchopped
    2 tbs. chopped anchovies (optional)
    1/4 cup extra vigin olive oil
    4-6 large heirloom tomatoes (number will depend on the size of your tomatoes... I used Cherokee purple and Brandywine in this one. But use what you got!! Later in the season I'll have more colors)
    Reggiano Parmesan...shaved or grated
    1/2 sheet pan or cookie sheet with edges

Preheat oven to 450...like a pizza oven.
    Getting the pizza dough rolled out on the pan is the toughest part of this recipe. If you have a better method, use it but here's what I do. Brush your pan with some of the olive oil, just so it's coated. Roll out your dough using a rolling pin on a lightly floured cutting board that is larger than your sheet pan, until the dough is approximately 1/4 inch thick and larger than your pan. Lay your pan upside down on top of the flat dough and in one move invert the cutting board, dough and sheet pan so that the dough is now laying flat on the pan with the edges hanging over the side. (you may want to ask someone to help with the flip...it can be a little awkward to do alone...LOL) Remove the cutting board. Adjust your dough so it sits comfortable in the pan, with the extra still hanging over the side. In a medium bowl mix the ricotta, minced garlic, chopped herbs, anchovies (if you're using them) and salt and pepper to taste. Spread ricotta mixture a spoonful at a time over the dough, using a rubber spatula. Slice your tomatoes approximately 1/3 inch thick and start placing them as tightly as you can without overlapping on top of your ricotta. Don't cut them too thick or the pie will get too wet, too thin and they'll dry out. Cover the whole surface filling in the spaces with any extra pieces. Season with salt and pepper. Loosely, garnish with sprigs of thyme and drizzle remaining olive oil lightly over top. Cut the excess dough around the perimeter of the pan and roll the edges in so they form a little border around the edge of the pie. Bake in oven at 450 until crust is golden brown and tomatoes are slightly bubbling. Move pie to broiler for about 5 minutes just to finish caramelizing the tomatoes. Remove from oven and let it sit for about 10 minutes so the tomatoes and ricotta set. Cut it up and serve with shaved Parmesan. It's excellent hot or cold, and one of my favorite tomato recipes.
    Hope you like it....Enjoy!!
    Don

• natal
    12 years ago

Homeend, people are starting (or finishing) their tomato harvest. These threads are fun!

Don, sounds great! I've never used ricotta on pizza. Typically make my own dough, but recently picked up a 2-pack of frozen whole wheat pizza dough. Haven't tried it yet. Real New York Pizza Dough

My harvest is just about done, but the past 9 weeks have been phenomenal! We've eaten fresh (uncooked) sauces at least twice a week. I start making them with all Sun Golds, then as the beefsteaks ripen use a colorful combo of those instead.

This year I tried a new Sun Gold recipe. Loved it! Pasta with Sun Golds

Not a big fan of Insalta caprese, but have to make one each season.

And another ... Squash & Tomato Gratin:

• felin
    12 years ago

ladon - Thank you for taking the time to write it out. Looks and sounds delicious. I am going to print it out and give it a try next chance I get.

natal - Yum! Are those your own tomatoes? They look absolutely gorgeous! I bet that that dish is scrumptious! Thanks for sharing!!

And, yes, it IS fun!

• natal
    12 years ago

Felin, yes, but the pics are from last year. I didn't take a single harvest pic this year. Still have a few tomatoes, but will be pulling the plants next week.

I will say my all time favorite tomato dish is the garden fresh pasta (tomatoes, garlic, olive oil, lemon zest, fresh basil). The simple combination of uncooked ingredients lets the full flavor shine.

{{gwi:109119}}

• loribee2
    12 years ago

Oh, lord. I should have never looked at this thread before lunch. Those dishes look delicious!!

What I look forward to every year is the simplest: Two slices of my favorite sandwich bread (mine's Orowheat 3-Seed). Liberal mayo. Fat slices of Brandywines or Beefsteak and heavy on the pepper.

If I can get at least one of those sandwiches out of my garden each year, I consider all the work, toil and worry worth it!

.....but now I want to try that pizza.....

• bulletz64
    12 years ago

Hi! I'd also like to share a dish I made last year of tomatoes from my garden (it's all just blossoming this year) called Phyllo Tomato Tart... it's yummy! The tomato varieties are the Neves Azorean Red and Kellogg's Breakfast Cross.

• trudi_d
    12 years ago

All those pictures should be filed under Tomato Eye Candy. Slurp.

• pennypond USDA 10 Sunset 21 CA
    12 years ago

You guys are giving me great ideas. Have to try them all!
    Here is Greek Salad made with Sun Sugar, feta cheese, and cucumber.

• gardenmommy_2010
    12 years ago

Okay, Natal and Bulletz64,

Got to have those recipes. That squash & tomato gratin looks amazing as well as the tomato tart. Such great ideas for what to do w/ my upcoming harvest! Please share. I looked up the Sungold pasta & am planning on doing that soon w/ my Sungold harvests. Thanks for sharing w/ us.

• kpev7hard
    12 years ago

My favorite tomato dish this summer has been a simple deconstructed tomato pesto salad. My husband came up with this and I am now addicted. Campari tomatoes work really well for this, they are the perfect size.

tomato slices/pieces (depending on variety and size)
    chopped fresh basil
    minced garlic
    salt&pepper
    olive oil
    parmesan cheese

toss it together in a bowl and dig in! so flavorful, easy, and delicious.

• natal
    12 years ago

Gardenmommy, here's the gratin recipe.

Here is a link that might be useful: Squash & Tomato Gratin

• gman68558
    12 years ago

Kpev - sounds good, but shouldn't it have pine nuts if it's deconstructed pesto? :)

• whgille
    12 years ago

Love all the dishes posted!

This is for you Tom from the Florida garden forum:)

Fresh tomato pie with pesto

And just a salad

{{gwi:118903}}

Silvia

• wcthomas
    12 years ago

I just gained five pounds reading this thread!

TomNJ

• Sunflowerhill
    12 years ago

Oh my if these all don't look wonderful!!I have lots of tomatoes coming... we've ate all that we picked and now we have to wait for the next batches coming up that are still green... blah... lol

• whgille
    12 years ago

This is for you TomNJ that just gained 5 pounds, lol and for you Sunflowerhill that are waiting for more tomatoes!

Another squash casserole

A fritatta topped with my own roasted tomatoes

Another caprese salad, in this one the topping of sun dried tomatoes makes a big difference!

Silvia

• vegiejoie
    12 years ago

halved cherry tomatoes - or chopped "regular" size tomatoes
    chopped garlic cloves
    olive oil
    salt
    fresh ground pepper
    shredded parmesan cheese
    pasta of your choice

combine tomatoes, salt, and pepper - stir and allow salt to draw juice from tomatoes. set aside.

cook pasta al dente. drain.

warm garlic in oil in pan in which pasta was cooked.

add pasta, stir, add cheese, stir, add tomato/salt/pepper mixture, stir and cover to melt cheese.

enjoy!!!

• tom8olvr
    12 years ago

OMG, those look fantastic!

Where's the recipes? Bullet64 - got to have the phyllo recipe on that one! - Please share!

I have NO pictures b/c we don't have tomatoes yet.

Our favorite recipe is:

Bread Salad:
    Fanny's (or your favorite) Italian Lite Dressing
    Fresh tomato
    Basil
    Fresh Buffalo Mozzarella cheese - cubed
    Fresh cubed Italian bread (toasted or day old)

Mix the dressing, tomato and basil together, let sit for a bit (15-20/30 mins) then right before serving dump over bread and cheese. Mix serve immediately. We make tons of this - parties and what not and it is always a HIT.

• tomncath
    12 years ago

This is for you Tom from the Florida garden forum:)

Silvia, I've never seen ANYONE with a more successful central Florida garden despite you're being a relative newbie here, and such a wealth of first-class knowledge and experience on worldwide cuisine when it comes to tomato/vegetable dishes...you're a natural on all fronts and you're instincts are truly amazing, you really should consider opening a gourmet restaurant. Too bad these folks have not experienced your garden and recipe posts like I have over at our forum....

Tom

• whgille
    12 years ago

Thank you Tom you are been very kind to me and the Florida forum would not be the same without your wonderful posts!

For all of you, we are preparing for the tomato fall season, I have all my seedlings ready to be planted in August.
    I think the real star of the veggie world are the tomatoes and when I have them I make sure to prepare salsa, tomato sauce and just cut up and put in the freezer to be enjoyed later in recipes.

My cooking is influenced by what I can grow in Florida in my small garden. Sometimes I follow a recipe and sometimes I make it up. Today' lunch is made with some of the things that are ripe today in the garden.

I made a curry sauce using the frozen cut out tomatoes, some onions, garlic, curry powder, cumin, coriander while the Orlando eggplants were roasting in the oven. Serve with a Brogdon avocado and a sprinkle of red lime and that is it, simple and fast!

Silvia

• ediej1209 AL Zn 7
    12 years ago

I still want that recipe for the squash/tomato gratin! We are finally starting to get both tomatoes and squash and I'm dying to try that - it looks so fantastic. Please, please, pretty please?!
    Edie

• whgille
    12 years ago

Hi Edie

The squash and tomato gratin is the easiest thing to make. Just slice some squash and tomatoes to fill any size dish you want, salt and pepper to taste and sprinkle of olive oil, you can also use any herbs that you like or even red pepper flakes, put in a 400 oven till tender, I like mine not too cooked so I leave about 15-20 minutes, sprinkle some parmigiano or gruyere cheese and put in the oven again till melted.

Enjoy your zucchini and tomato harvest!

Silvia

• natal
    12 years ago

Silvia, do you have an avocado tree? What a treat that must be!

I made eggplant chips the other day. Didn't make the dip, just the chips. Used basil olive oil to coat them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Eggplant Chips

• whgille
    12 years ago

Hi Natal - Thank you for posting the recipe for eggplant chips, I will make it since I have some varieties of eggplants producing heavy. My favorite is the Orlando but I also have Pintung Long, Black Beauty, Rosita, Rosa Bianca, Fairytale and Ichiban.

And yes I have a very tasty variety of Brogdon avocado and this year it produced a lot.

The tree

The avocados

{{gwi:84219}}

One of my favorite recipes is chopped fresh tomato, chopped fresh red onion, chopped avocado, add salt, pepper, lime juice and mash them together. Put on top of a good sliced bread or some salad greens.

Silvia

• natal
    12 years ago

Those almost look like Haas, but I'm guessing that's a variety you can't grow in Florida since they typically come from California and Mexico. Did you grow the star fruit too?

• whgille
    12 years ago

Natal - In my opinion the Brogdon are better tasting than the Hass variety and I had that variety before. And yes I am growing star fruits too, I have a mini orchard in my small place.:)

For those of you having zucchini and tomatoes at the same time, here is a very good recipe that I also make very often.

Silvia

Here is a link that might be useful: zucchini papardelle with tomatoes

• ediej1209 AL Zn 7
    12 years ago

Silvia, thank you SO much. I am going to make the gratin this weekend. My mouth's watering already just thinking about it!!!

Edie

• ediej1209 AL Zn 7
    12 years ago

Slivia, just had to tell you:
    Tomato/Squash Gratin = Heaven on a plate!!
    We really enjoyed it and I will definitely be making it often. Thanks again for sharing the recipe.
    Edie

• whgille
    12 years ago

Edie, I am so glad that you like the recipe, I do too. Today I am still using my frozen tomatoes from the garden in a vegetable soup with harvested callaloo from the garden, it is one of the few greens that looks good in this hot weather, tasty too.

Silvia

• natal
    12 years ago

Tried a different sauce last night. My plum tomato harvest ended months ago, so I grabbed some from the produce stand. I didn't make the basil-infused olive oil since I already had a bottle. Was amazed how simple and so good.

Naked Tomato Sauce

My adaptation of Naked Tomato Sauce:

3 pounds plum tomatoes
    3/4 teaspoon coarse salt
    crushed red pepper flakes
    1/4 cup basil olive oil
    1 large clove garlic, finely minced
    pasta water
    1 tablespoon butter (optional)
    fresh basil for garnish

Mince garlic and add to basil olive oil. Let sit at room temp for a couple hours.

Blanch tomatoes, peel, seed, and save juice.

Add chopped tomatoes, crushed red pepper, and salt to a large saucepan; turn the heat to medium-high. Once the sauce has begun to boil turn the heat down to medium-low and gently simmer tomatoes for 35 to 45 minutes, mashing them more if needed. If they begin to look a little dry, add the strained and reserved tomato juices.

Boil pasta. Once sauce is cooked to the consistency you like stir in the olive oil. Save a bit of pasta water then drain pasta. Add pasta to the simmering tomato sauce with some of the pasta water and cook them together for another minute or two. Add remaining pasta water if needed to loosen the sauce. Stir in the butter, if using, and serve immediately with basil chiffonade garnish.

• qaguy
    12 years ago

I have two favorite recipies (if you can call them that).

1. While picking cherry tomatoes off the vine...eat them.

2. Sliced raw tomato with Kosher salt.

Both recipies are simple and easy. And the best way to
    eat tomatoes IMHO.

• yumtomatoes
    12 years ago

I really enjoy my tomatoes sliced with salt and nothing else or on a BLT. I do like a caprese salad, too, though - sliced tomatoes, sliced fresh mozzarella, chopped fresh basil and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar. And of course, salt.