qaguy

The tag at the nursery said Cherokee Purple

qaguy
10 years ago

And, in the immortal words of Ricky Ricardo

"I don thin so, Lucy".

Here's a couple of shots of it.

This first one is actually overripe because I was waiting
for it to change color and didn't realize my problem yet.
Note the green stripes.

I think this one's about ripe and it really doesn't have the
green stripes on the bottom.

Any suggestions on what it might be would be appreciated.

Thanks

This post was edited by qaguy on Mon, Jul 8, 13 at 18:22

Comments (12)

• fcivish
    10 years ago

Looks like it could be Cherokee Green. And if that is the case, I agree they are probably way over ripe. In any case, they look like some relatively large green variety, and Cherokee Green seems like a reasonable possibility.

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    10 years ago

The nursery has some 'splaining to do!

• Moorlord
    10 years ago

Don't you just love that? I bought 2 black cherries and so far they are grapes and not black. Oh well hope they taste good!

• Bets
    10 years ago

I was in a garden center one time and saw a mom take a handful of tags away from a child and start putting them into the pots and it didn't look like she was making any effort to make sure they belonged where she was putting them. At another store I saw a tomato plant that had a petunia tag on it!

Betsy

• Becky
    10 years ago

As a person who works in a Garden Center, we get a LOT of switched tags.. or people who pull up a tag, walk around with it, then decide they don't want it nor the plant it belonged too.. and thus throw the tag on the floor, or shove it somewhere it doesn't belong(A tomato is NOT a marigold). They also let their children run around and pull tags, not caring whatsoever that it's akin to pulling off books from a bookshelf and throwing them on the floor.

It's very frustrating, at we get double tags-no tags a lot, and we have to discount those because who wants a plant they know nothing about? A flat of 3-pack mystery plants went for 5$ because there was literally no other way to get it out of the store because no one wanted it.

I will say I'm rather happy, having scored myself a mystery plant that appears to be some sort of heirloom. ;) We'll see what happens as it gets bigger!

• sjetski
    10 years ago

I prefer to grow from seed but personally i would not buy a flat or 6 pack that had a major chance of being mixed up. I only buy from places that keep the same varieties couped in bunches, i then reach for something healthy out of the middle of the bunch, and compare it's leaves to the other flats that were surrounding it.

Unfortunately my method rules out purchasing onesies from big box stores, i don't like mystery tomatoes spitters.

• donna_in_sask
    10 years ago

I had that happen with a single heirloom tomato plant. It was supposed to be Aunt Ruby's German Green but I ended up with Big Rainbow instead. I like to grow tomatoes from seed these days.

I like buying flowers, especially daylilies, when in bloom. It's so frustrating getting a mislabeled plant.

• qaguy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I got my plants at a great nursery in Pasadena, not a
    big box store. This is the first time in years one has
    been mismarked. Burkhard's is a great place and has
    a huge selection of heirloom tomatoes.

I did grab it from a cluster of similarly marked plants and
    got the best of the bunch as usual.

While I have sympathy for all those with mismarked plants,
    this thread was asking for help identifying what I've got!

Anyone have suggestions along that line? We have one
    vote for Cherokee Green. Anyone concur or disagree?

Thanks.

• donna_in_sask
    10 years ago

^Look back at your OP, you never asked specifically for identification. There are so many varieties of tomatoes, I doubt you will be able to narrow it down to just one.

• sjetski
    10 years ago

To the OP, my apologies as i had thought this was a discussion and not a plant ID thread. Also, my intention was not to accuse, but simply state my buying habits, which would hopefully cut down the chances of purchasing a mystery plant (and my peeve for buying accidental mystery plants!! lol)

Unfortunately the same buying advice did not work for you this time around.

This post was edited by sjetski on Mon, Jul 8, 13 at 19:40

• qaguy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No apologies by anyone necessary. I was not very clear
    which is why I've edited my original post.

I only stated where and how I got the plants and my selection
    process to show my agreement with sjetski's selection process.

In fact, I picked up a cilantro plant at a big box store the
    other day and didn't even look at the tag. I got home
    and the tag said 'oregano'. It's not, because I know what
    both oregano and cilantro look like and smell like.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Well, I think that you've got a nice surprise ; Golden Cherokee, or green Cherokee, whatever. Hot it is tasty. I love the shape and color.

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative Design-Build Firms