Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dry Cat Food as Fertilizer

Posted by garf 10B (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 24, 12 at 23:39

I wonder if leftover dry cat food is any good as fertilizer?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dry Cat Food as Fertilizer

You might attract critters to your garden. Do you have lots of extra cat food? The birds will eat it if you want a use for it.

o

Racoons, skunks, groundhogs, mice, rats, and possums will come for miles to get it long before it could possibly provide any benefits to plants.

Dave

o

• Posted by garf 10B (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 25, 12 at 16:00

My feeding procedure for my cat takes a bag of dry food and divides it into 3 pint ziploc bags. I place food in the dish every 4 hours and take the food up that he doesn't finish. Near the bottom of the ziploc, most of whats left is fine particles. At a certain point, I break out a new bag and dump the old one. I'm thinking about mixing the remainder into a container. I guess it may draw stray cats. My main question is will it help the plants.

o

My cat wants to come live at your house.

o

Dave answered your question quite well in his last post imho.

Not to mention that it will cause putrid soil in your container, unbeneficial bacteria and mold. That's if there's any soil left once the rodents and raccoons dig it all out looking for whatever stinks in the container, that's no joke either.

That stuff would have too be composted first before it would be "safe" to use.

o

garf - what is it you think it might supply?

I suppose it would depend in great part on the brand of cat food since the ingredients vary so widely. But nitrogen, in the form of the protein in meat/fish by-products, would require substantial decomposition before it would be plant-useble. I would assume the same would hold true for any source of P or K it 'might' contain. Calcium? A year from now. Maybe. Boron, iron, magnesium? Is any of that even in cat food? Iron, maybe in very small amounts.

It's one of those "it might help but I can't imagine how and could really hurt thanks to the pests" situations IMO.

If you HAVE to do something with it feed it to the wildlife away from the garden.

Dave

o

Thu, Aug 2, 12 at 21:09

2 days ago, I stirred about 2 oz of dry cat food into one of the smaller pots. So far, nothing has disturbed it. After 1 or 2 weeks, I will place a small plant into the pot and see what happens.

o

Mon, Nov 12, 12 at 23:24

Today something dug up a container I had added Tomato Tone to. SO, I set up a trap and caught a small possum. Tomorrow, I dispose of the carcass.

o

Tue, Nov 13, 12 at 22:16

Gone.

o

Does tomato fertilizer attract pests? Or did the critter just happen to dig up that particular pot?

o

Wed, Nov 14, 12 at 21:31

It was a pot that I had just pulled a plant from, and just added some Tomato Tone to. No other pot was disturbed.

o

Thu, Nov 15, 12 at 10:27

The trap has claimed another possum. A big one this time.

o

Thu, Nov 15, 12 at 16:55

This one got lucky. It got shipped out intact. It was released alive a few miles from my place.

o

TomatoTone is not a very good fertilizer anymore but it remains a wonderful critter magnet.

o

Sat, Nov 17, 12 at 18:20

Which fertilizers are better?

o

Tue, Nov 20, 12 at 17:44

Possum #3 also got a free ride down the road.

o

Sat, Nov 24, 12 at 19:08

The trap was tripped twice without catching anything. The first time, the bait was eaten. I've never known this trap to fail before.

o

Sun, Nov 25, 12 at 20:15

Today the bait was gone without tripping the trap. Something out there is smarter than I am.

o

Garf - TomatoTone is just not very strong anymore. If you are using in in well ammended soil I imagine it is fine. I grow in containers and Earthboxes and the last year I used it everything was struggling. I still have a 20LB bag left and I will apply it much more liberally.

o

Sat, Jan 5, 13 at 15:52

#4 possum was a biter. He did a job on the bait tray. This was baited with catnip.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here