Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
??when to plant fall tomatos in deep south TX??

Posted by palmfarmer (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 3, 08 at 23:39

when is a good time to plant fall tomatoes in deep south Texas? and whats recomended? early type? mid season? I wouldnt think a longer day type would be desirable but that is why I am asking?!?! any helps appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ??when to plant fall tomatos in deep south TX??

• Posted by suze9 z8b SE Texas (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 5, 08 at 22:58

As a very general guideline for Central and South Texas, anywhere from the second week of July to Sept 1 (depending on who you ask).

According to their planting calendars, both the Harris and Travis County extension services recommend setting out tomato transplants anywhere from mid-July to mid-Aug. I personally seem to have the best success sticking with early to mid season varieties for fall crop and planting out around the first or second week of Aug. July seems kind of early to me.

I like to plant some in containers so that I have a little more control over the amount of sun the plants receive and can also move them to a protected area later on if necessary. I also like to give them a fair amount of afternoon shade after planting out, then later move to a full sun area when it gets cooler and the days get shorter. (Much the same thing could be accomplished by using shade cloth when you plant out, then removing it later on.)

Others say they like to go as late as Sept 1 and sometimes have success with the mid to later season ones.

You might also want to include a few cherry types on your fall list as they tend to set better in the heat. Indet vs. det is also a consideration, because if we have a hot fall, true determinates can reach that mature/terminal bud stage, then kick the bucket before they've had a chance to set any fruit of note.

One more thing - unless you have a known source for fall transplants lined up (they can be hard to find), you'll either need to take and root cuttings from your spring plants or start some seeds.

o

Thanks for the info, I have ordered seed, and plan on a late august set out, down in the rgv, this is when the commercial guys set out fall transplants,
Tad

o

LSU Agi center says 7/1-8/15 I am going to plant around 7/15. I am in the Cenla area.

Robert

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here