Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I Threw Out My Tomatoes !

Posted by Deeby 9b (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 14, 14 at 23:49

Welp, everyone who hates Yellow Pear-you were right. Talk about gross. Little flavor if any, and a weird firm but mushy texture. This really surprised me because when I first tried them years ago I liked them.
The other throw away was Patio tomato. Even I who likes tangy couldn't get past the pucker on those. And the skins were tough yet thin and they stuck to my teeth.
I ENJOYED hauling them to the trash and heaving them in. Never again !

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I Threw Out My Tomatoes !

Glad it gave you pleasure to chuck them in the garbage. However, I would have chucked them in a bag in the freezer and used them in my stews. I hate to toss food, especially when I have put a lot of effort into growing it.

Linda

o

I would have picked them totally green and added them to my Green Tomato and Green Peppers Relish. It's a sweet relish that goes well with hot dogs, beans, anywhere you use chow chow, and some places to be determined. You can add hot peppers to give it some heat and the pickling spices don't care if you use good or bad tasting tomatoes because it flavors everything.

I agree with Linda. Waste not - Want not !!!

This post was edited by containerted on Tue, Jul 15, 14 at 15:09

o

I don't cook. I'd be scared to death to can. I don't eat meat so no stews. There weren't many tomatoes. It did cross my mind to give them away but how could someone transport those huge bushes? They were in bags. Well, I have my Red Robins which I love and can always count on.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here