Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dehydrating tomatoes

Posted by lindalana z5 IL (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 13, 14 at 0:16

So I �splurged� on inexpensive Nesco dehydrator. Anyone has an experience drying tomatoes in dehydrators, which varieties are the best... I know... cherries but still any better than others, any tips are most welcome!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dehydrating tomatoes

Harvest (food preservation) forum - lots of info and discussions. Search 'brokenbar' discussions.

Dave

o

• Posted by LKZZ 7b (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 13, 14 at 21:45

I did San Marzanos last year with the same dehydrator. Worked fine.

o

Thank you for suggestions!
San Marzano and my garden are not friends...
but have found varieties suggested by brokenbar, very interesting if other Italian varieites will do better for me.

o

I been drying Glacier and Bloody Butcher. Both are fairly small tomatoes but have big tomato flavor. Being smaller, I don't think that it is worth the time to remove the skins before drying.

The skins are a little tough after drying, but they are still fine with me. After drying, they have that classic "sundried tomato" taste.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Growing Tomatoes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here