Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
njitgrad

mid-season report card

njitgrad
10 years ago

Here is a mid-season report card for my tomato production.

I am curious to see how others did. Feel free to share!

Black Zebra Heirloom (A+) - late to ripen but they just keep coming and coming and coming....they're not very big but when my wife makes her tomato salad with fresh basil and balsamic vinegar....OMG....

Gardener's Delight Cherry Hybrid (A) - large cherry, constant work horse, 8 foot tall, very pleased with this fellow

Chadwick Cherry Hybrid (B+) - smaller cherry, a close competitor to my Gardener's Delight in terms of production, starting to fade from the scene due to yellowing of branches

Independence Day Hybrid (B+) - ripened later than expected but consistently picking 2-3 off my single plant daily, still looking very healthy

Black Krim Heirloom (B-) - first non-cherry to ripen, average production from the start but not growing as large as expected, will still get one here and there

Abe Lincoln Heirloom (B) - outperformed my expectations, may have earned another spot in next year's lineup

Better Boy Hybrid (C) - just not as much fruit as I expected from a hybrid

Pineapple Heirloom (C-) - large yummy yellow steak-like fruit, but not too many made it that large before I had to pick them

Better Bush Hybrid (D) - short foliage hides most fruit, which isn't really much to begin with

Super Steak Hybrid (F) - more like Super Fake, got 1 tomato off this plant

Next year I'll be trying out Cherokee Purple, Mortgage Lifter, Brandywine, and the Ramapo F1 Hybrid.

Comments (3)

• sheltieche
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

JapaneseTruffles- good variety, will try Black Pear Russian origin to see if it different

Purple Russian- keeper, good production, midseason early, good growth consider my fight with septoria

Paul Robeson- keeper forever, got this year with Amazon Chocolate 105 days from seed. Still has some greenies

Gypsy- keeper, midseason, sweeter that Amazon Choc, likes cool weather, slightly later than AC
    Amazon Chocolate- keeper, 105 days from seed!!! Fairly large for that early and that tasty tomato.
    my fav so far in terms of taste, was early for this size, likes cool weather, was not that great with septoria
    Black vernissage
    tough skin, taste good otherwise, skip for next year
    Missouri pink love apple
    good steady production, prolific, plenty of greenies yet, midseaon with WOW for me, seesm did well with septoria
    Pink Honey
    as not productive as I would like but early midseason, taste excellent, will keep
    Big Rainbow- one of the late ones for me
    has lots of going now but so far few small fruits produced. Nature Riddle seems to be pretty similar but slightly earlier and better production so might go on the shelf for next year
    Tigerella
    have better things to try
    Nature RIddle
    will keep, late, large citrycy, got nice large ones quite a few
    Riesentraube
    great one, very healthy considering septoria, cept I like Isis candy much more and they both later cherries for me, I just do not need that many cherries
    Taste of Italy' Cuore Di Bue
    http://www.tmseeds.com/product/Pomodoro_Tomato_Cuore_di_Bue/Taste_of_Italy
    keeper, steady, midseason and still working, great taste
    San Marzano
    gone
    Azochka
    keeper, quite early for size and excellent taste, seems pulling through whatever weather comes
    Roman Candle
    good paste but I think I might keep banana legs and orange paste instead
    HHHS
    http://www.rareseeds.com/hssiao-his-hung-shih-tomato/
    new one this year, meaty for cherry, prolific as described, taste was they say balanced, could load tons into salad without overloading the taste buds. I have Medovaya Kaplya to try next year though
    Sungold and Momotaro are two hybrids I keep.

Blue p20
    one of all time favs
    Ildi
    gone, very bland taste
    Isis
    favorite, keeper, super!!!
    Gardeners Delight
    like it but have some other early cherries to try
    Black Russian
    http://www.thompson-morgan.com/vegetables/vegetable-seeds/tomato-seeds/tomato-black-russian-heritage/319TM
    I got 3 types of different tomatoes out of that commercial package, what picture shows regular leaf, potato leaf and small golf ball delightful dark red.
    Black Krim
    Have too many darks and BK is just not that great producer this year
    Marianne Peace
    def has to be started early and WOW, the only tomato I am still waiting on. Love it though
    Lemon wonder
    well, it was from trade, it is Not Lemon wonder and neither is Limonny, small golf size mid season dark yellow, juicy and colorful, keeper but at loss what name it is
    Banana legs
    for determined tom it id well and good paste tomato, keeper
    Peach
    good, beautiful in salads,
    Giant yellow belgium
    was not giant but nice variety
    Hungarian heart
    so so this year but my steady keeper
    Tarasenko ubileyniy
    midseason, nice, no WOW factor, possibly keep
    Green zebra cherry- nice, will skip for next year since have other cherries to try
    StPierre- nice, midseason, moderate yield, no wow factor but good enough to keep
    Pierce Tom Pride- love this one, buttery dark taste, one of my new favs
    Hog heart- keeper late paste
    Orange paste- keeper, super like!
    BrandywinexStupice- love, keeper, late midseason
    Nikolaevna- love, keeper, just your old fashioned tomato taste
    Tenessie Surprise- just got first one, jury still out
    Novogogoshari- this one hollow for stuffing, too small for good stuffer, at least this year

• carolyn137
    10 years ago

nj,,

I know Gardener's Delight and Chadwick Cherry, aka Camp Joy as OP's and not hybrids and both have been long known as OP,

When were hybrids created from them and how?

Thanks,

Carolyn

• njitgrad
    Original Author
    10 years ago

my mistake

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio